26 Struggles You’ll Recognise All Too Well If You’ve Ever Lived In a Student House
As you sign that contract, you’re buzzing for the year ahead living with your pals in your own student pad, until you discover…
1. The weirdness of the front room actually being a bedroom.
If you haven’t experienced this, did you even live in a student house?
2. And dreading being the one who ends up in there.
No matter what anyone tells you, it will be the coldest, dampest room and you will end up opening the front door every time the doorbell goes.
3. They’re always freezing cold. Always.
4. And if not, you’re getting nagged at for putting the heating on.
“Can’t you just wear another jumper?”
5. Someone always manages to jump into the shower just before you.
Come on now.
6. But no one ever wants to take responsibility for cleaning it.
You don’t even like cleaning your own hair out of the drain, never mind someone else’s.
7. Coming home to a mountain of post for previous tenants.
8. And a frankly unnecessary amount of takeaway leaflets.
9. Having to choose between blinding ceiling lights or almost complete darkness.
Are student houses not allowed mood lighting? This isn’t Hollister.
10. Being scared to walk around barefoot in case of unwelcome visitors.
11. And not wanting to use the bath even if you have one.
12. There’s always a huge pile of washing up.
Even when you only did them 5 minutes ago, another batch of dirty mugs and plates appear from someone’s room.
13. And there’s always someone who seems to think the Bin Fairy is real.
14. Regretting hosting pre-drinks every single time.
So. Much. Mess
15. And entering into a war over your recycling bins.
16. Being able to hear e v e r y t h i n g through the walls.
17. And waiting a lifetime to have internet installed only for it to then not work properly.
It’s 2016 ffs.
18. The only instructions manual you’ll ever actually try to look for will be the one you can’t find.
19. And trying to clean is often more trouble than it’s worth.
20. Developing a fear of everything whenever you’re home alone.
“What was that noise? Did I leave the door like that? It must be a murderer. Or a ghost. That’s the only logical explanation”
21. But then remembering this fact of student house life:
22. Never daring to even go near the basement or attic.
23. And realising how difficult sorting out bills and TV licenses are.
24. The sheer panic when your landlord drops by.
HIDE THAT BROKEN THING QUICK
25. And dreading the messy battle that will be getting your deposit back.
26. But the greatest struggle of all is realising that you’ll one day have to move out.
Because in spite of its flaws, living in a student house is actually pretty damn great.