23 Things You’ll Only Understand If You Studied Abroad In The USA
If you were lucky enough to spend some time studying in the USA, there are some things only you will understand.
1. You couldn’t wait to take a break from your student life in the UK and start living the American Dream.
The student version, at least.
2. But the long journey there was definitely not the one.
3. And you really weren’t sure how you felt about the prospect of sharing a room.
4. But the lure of getting your fill of American culture was enough to make it worth it.
5. Not to mention all the food. All of it.
6. There was always an endless amount of activities to get involved in.
And you couldn’t let your Britishness stop you from taking part.
7. And an endless list of places you wanted to travel to before you left.
8. You were completely overwhelmed by the portion sizes.
9. And you couldn’t get used to the fact that the legal drinking age is 21.
If you were still under 21, under-age drinking suddenly became a thing again.
10. Or how different the drinking terminology is.
Lite beer? What the heck is pinnacle?
11. You made it your mission to find someone to adopt you for Thanksgiving.
12. Because you didn’t want to risk being alone on campus looking at everyone’s Turkey Instagrams.
13. You never quite figured out which ID you were supposed to carry around with you.
Why did you need so many, though?
14. And it always surprised you how many phrases don’t exist outside of the UK.
15. As well as how many stereotypes people actually believe are true.
“Yes, of course I know the Queen. Everyone does.”
16. You started to miss things like Fish & Chips and Cadbury’s chocolate.
17. But you can’t deny that you enjoyed being the token foreigner.
18. And you loved that road trips in the USA really are road trips.
Not just a trip down the road to Tesco.
19. You couldn’t get over how seriously everyone takes their house parties.
20. Or their sports.
Many of which you just couldn’t get into.
21. You worried about getting used to UK lectures again after experiencing the American version.
College > University
22. And that home would look boring in comparison to everywhere you went in the USA.
23. Because as much as you missed everyone at home, you didn’t really want to leave.