21 Things Year Abroad Students Returning Home For Christmas Will Understand
No one said your year abroad would be easy, especially in the first few months. But returning home for Christmas after all the excitement and stress will give you ALL THE FEELS.
1. When it comes to leaving, you’ll either be drowning in a pool of tears…
2. Or celebrating.
3. You feel annoyed that you’ve been dragged away just as you were starting to make friends and get to grips with the language.
4. Although the relief you feel once you’re in a country where you’re 100% positive you understand everything is so worth it.
5. Because you really need a break from worrying about prepositions all the time.
6. Or whether you’re using the right tenses.
7. And let’s not even mention grammar.
8. Just the simple thought of being able to talk without frantically planning ahead will be enough of a Christmas present for you.
9. Not even travelling with cheap airlines can ruin your determination.
10. You’re excited to see Christmas done the way you’re used to.
Although you won’t deny that the Christmas markets abroad are amazing.
11. And you literally can’t wait to get your fill of British Christmas food.
12. But you realise as you’re on your way home that there’s a catch to all this excitement.
13. You suddenly seem to be struggling with English as much as your foreign languages.
14. And you appear to have forgotten how British people interact.
Two cheek kisses? One cheek kiss? A hug? A handshake? Nothing?
15. You also don’t seem capable of having a conversation without mentioning something to do with your Year Abroad.
16. And, before you know it, you actually start to miss being abroad way more than you expected to.
17. Especially being able to buy genuinely decent wine for just 1€.
18. However, having access to Dairy Milk, decent tea and fresh milk again does make up for it.
19. For some reason it feels like a lot longer than it actually is since you’ve seen your family and friends.
20. So the reunion is extra emotional.
21. And even though you know you’ll have to jet off again soon, you want to enjoy your holiday with your loved ones more than ever.