22 Things Every 2016 Graduate Has Realised About Real Life By Now
Graduating from uni is a bittersweet thing and if you graduated this year, there are some things you’ll have realised by now.
1. Being an adult is often a lot less exciting than you thought it would be.
2. And being unemployed is almost as exhausting as working.
Looking for jobs is essentially a full time job.
3. Considering you have a degree now, you still feel really stupid sometimes.
4. And just because a job has the word graduate in the title, it doesn’t mean a graduate is actually what they’re looking for.
Unless you’re a 20 year old with 30 years of work experience, of course.
5. Applying for jobs isn’t really about proving why you’re the perfect candidate, but proving why they should just hire you anyway.
6. Moving back in with your parents literally makes you feel like you’ve gone back in time.
7. And you’re always torn between enjoying the perks of being back at home and mourning the loss of your independence.
8. There are just as many deadlines as there were at university.
9. And everyone seems to have unreasonable expectations for how quickly you should get your shit together.
10. Degrees don’t necessarily qualify you for your dream job or salary.
11. And you can’t truly grasp how expensive your student loan was until it comes to paying it back.
Something you’re convinced you’ll never actually be able to do.
12. Graduating didn’t suddenly prepare you for taking on responsibilities.
13. Nor for how to be an adult in general.
14. In fact, you’re not sure if it actually prepared you for anything at all really.
15. Adult working life isn’t all that different from being at school sometimes.
16. And if you thought dating was hard before, it’s even harder now.
17. No matter how close you were with your uni friends, drifting apart happens all too easily.
18. And “we’ll meet up soon” is the biggest lie you can ever tell.
19. Real life doesn’t come with near enough holidays.
20. Nor enough fancy dress.
21. Having an existential crisis is just a regular, everyday occurrence for you now.
You question everything these days. From your choice of degree, to whether you’ll ever know what you’re doing.