17 Struggles All University of York Students Have Experienced At Least Once
Being a student at York is both a blessing and a curse. But mostly just a curse. If you go to UOY you’re bound to recognise some of these woes…
1. Always having badly timed Cakeaway urges.
And seeing the saddest screen of all. All you wanted were some sweet, sweet brownies. Why cruel world.
2. Having to go the long way round to the library since they got rid of these steps.
But…it’s so far. I literally can’t.
3. Having to decide whether to just walk or wait a whole seven minutes for a campus bus.
Though tbf who even knows if the bus is ever coming these days…
4. And then having to decide which bus to get to town when they all come at once.
Eurgh. Decisions are the worst.
5. Going shopping late in the day and then realising you’re in York and pretty much all the shops close by 6pm.
6. And having to deal with the fact there’s no Primark.
They say they’re building one but are they really?! CAN YOU EVEN TRUST ANYONE IN THIS GODFORSAKEN CITY?!
7. When you get assigned a dissertation supervisor who is really keen and won’t stop bugging you to do work.
It’s November?! Get off my back OMG it’s like you want me to actually do well or something?!?!
8. Or a dissertation supervisor who isn’t even in York or available most of the time.
This is just not what I signed up for and I am so not motivated right now.
9. Getting an email saying that someone has requested your overdue library book.
And realising that means getting out of bed and going to campus when you hadn’t planned to so you don’t get fined.
10. Going to the library but forgetting your student card.
And it’s after 10pm. And now you have to ACTUALLY SPEAK to the library staff. Life.
11. And then getting hungry on campus and having to decide between the YUSU Shop and Nisa meal deals.
12. When you just want a coffee in the library but the queue is always ridiculous.
Where do all of these people even come from?! What do they WANT?!
13. And thinking you’re clever for skipping the queue and going to the Costa machine…
Only to find that it’s out of order or just doesn’t have what you want.
14. Going out and being forced to choose between over 300 pubs to pre-drink at.
15. And having to buy a whole new fancy dress outfit every time you want to go on a social. Because you just have to.
16. Getting excited about a load of Facebook notifications and realising they’re all from club promoters…
17. And then, when your degree is FINALLY over, you have to deal with the worst struggle of all: graduating in ugly grey robes.
Will this turmoil EVER end!?