19 Thoughts Every University of York Student Has On Move-In Day
Exciting times! You’ve packed your carefully chosen new duvet cover, said goodbye to the family pet, and your parents are crying a tiny bit. That’s right, University of York move-in day is here.
UOY terms are always really late to start compared to other unis. So, as nervous as you may be, you’re just glad it’s finally happening.
2. “Why is York so far north?”
Ok, it could be worse, but if you’re from The South you’ve probably convinced yourself on the long drive up to York that your friends have already forgotten you.
3. “This city is sooo beautiful…”
York is like a postcard most of the time. Lucky you!
4. “…And freezing.”
Do you like Winter? York is basically in eternal Winter. Welcome!
5. “That’s…umm…*gulps nervously*…a lot of ducks.”
Yeah. You probably won’t get used to that. Just don’t make eye contact.
6. “I’m gonna need a bigger room.”
Chances are you’ve made the classic decision to bring EVERYTHING YOU OWN and a standard single room at York just isn’t going to accommodate all that shit.
7. “Oh god I hope my parents leave soon.”
They’re talking to your flatmates AND your flatmates’ parents and it’s relatively horrifying.
8. “HOW could my parents just LEAVE ME in this new place with these new people?!”
Now it’s actually happened you’re probably feeling a bit awkward.
9. “If I leave my bedroom door open and play some carefully selected music people will come in and be my friend right?”
“Thank you so much for that doorstop Mum, I’m so sorry I ever doubted you.”
10. “FREE. ALCOHOL. (And other somewhat exciting free things) WOOO.”
You’ve done pretty well between the welcome pack and the free booze at the welcome talk. Drunk at 6pm. What of it.
11. “This seems…early…for a night out?”
Your STYCs are rushing you to an event much earlier than you’ll ever go out after Freshers’ Week. Cue panicked pre-drinking.
12. “So… What course do you do? What college are you in?”
This is less a thought and more something you’ll say and hear 108239 times tonight and every night for the foreseeable future. Just go with it.
13. “Everything is so cheap.”
Your first night will probably be in a campus bar and your college gets you great drinks deals for Freshers’ Week.
14. “MY COLLEGE IS BETTER THAN ALL THE OTHER COLLEGES.”
15. “(Insert applicable name here) IS THE WORST COLLEGE EVER.”
That’s right, for a grand total of…this one week…college rivalry is a thing.
16. “Aw nice, people are taking photos.”
New friends. Memories. Best day ever.
17. “Oh shit, people are taking photos.”
You’ll quickly remember you spent all day stressed and travelling and unpacking. You’ve been drinking since the afternoon. And yes, these are all going on your college’s Facebook page.
18. “York. Is. The. Best.”
19. “Bring on tomorrow!”
Just kidding, you’re gonna be reeeaaaally hungover at a fire safety talk tomorrow – HAVE FUN.