22 Things You’ll Only Understand If You’ve Ever Tried To Work In a Uni Library
You can try, but you probably won’t have much luck.
1. It takes a serious amount of effort just to go to the library in the first place.
Especially if it’s winter, or the morning, or you’re hungover, or there are new episodes of a show you vaguely like on Netflix.
2. Showing up and realising you’ve forgotten your student card is basically heartbreaking.
3. And remembering your card, but having to stand there scanning it repeatedly while the barrier does nothing is worse.
You can just feel the queue forming behind you.
4. There are somehow never any seats available.
Unless you can drag yourself there at 8am, or are up for working solely in all-nighters.
5. And walking round looking for one feeling like everyone’s watching is awkward af.
6. You usually end up sat on the floor while you wait, or at the table no one wants because it’s not within reach of a plug socket.
7. And you can forget about just turning up and getting a pod, or one of the cool chairs.
8. If there’s a specific book you need for your essay that’s due, you can guarantee someone’s taken it out.
9. Or worse, the library system says it’s on the shelf, but it is n o t.
10. Eating crisps is the worst thing you could possibly do.
If you do so in the silent area during exam season, you are properly asking for trouble.
11. And if you fall asleep you should expect everyone at your uni to hear about it…
Thanks to ‘Spotted’, ‘Overheard’ and the internet in general.
12. No matter how hard you try, everything is distracting.
13. You can easily spend a couple of hours people-watching without realising you’ve done 0 work.
You lose entire days to being in the library, achieving absolutely nothing and wondering why you left your bed.
14. And you regularly end up fantasising about just getting up and leaving.
“Fuck it I’m out.”
15. The silent section is never really silent, which means the people who want it to be silent get a bit scary when they’re on a deadline.
16. You’ll never be able to accept the amount you have to pay for printing.
17. Especially when you’re asked for two copies of something, double-spaced, single-sided and you need it in colour.
Don’t even talk to me about how much I spent on my dissertation.
18. You only ever run into your library crush when you’ve been awake for days, living out of the vending machine and stressing about exams.
19. And if you even think about leaving to go get some real food you risk losing your seat.
20. The uni library will definitely be solidified in your memory as a place where you had a series of near-breakdowns.
An accurate representation of the essay planning process:
21. But nothing is more reassuring than making eye contact with a stranger who looks like they’re in just as much shit with uni work as you are.
22. And it’s all worth the effort and stress of being there when you run into your course friends.
Because then you can cry together about just how much you’re all probably going to fail.