19 Reasons Why Journalism Students Are Allowed To Be Complete Divas
Studying for any degree is enough to turn anyone into a diva, but there are some reasons why studying Journalism in particular completely warrants this behaviour.
1. There’s always an obscene amount of deadlines that you need to meet.
2. Which makes the pressure of thinking up more stories even harder to bear.
3. And let’s not even talk about trying to find paid, or even unpaid, industry experience.
4. The competition is so fierce you’re always either looking for any opportunity to outdo your coursemates.
5. Or questioning if this is really the right career for you.
6. While everyone else is booking boozy holidays, you’re trying to organise summer internships.
7. And struggling with the pressure of being expected to know everything that’s happening in the news. Literally everything.
8. Or needing interviews for your story but no one wants to comment or talk to you.
9. People on other courses never appreciate how difficult and subjective current affairs tests are.
10. And they’ll never, ever know the pain of needing to compose a news story in the space of a one hour seminar.
11. Or having to edit a story a million times before it’s absolutely perfect.
12. You always have to remain balanced and fair in your writing even when you’ve never felt so far from balanced and fair.
13. And you feel as though you spend more time proofreading than you do literally everything else.
14. Except maybe transcribing. It never seems to end. Ever.
15. When you’re not building your portfolio, you’re thinking about building it.
16. And you can’t help feeling guilty when you’re not writing anything.
Which hardly ever happens, let’s be honest.