13 Eating Habits Only Students Could Get Away With
There are many eating habits students develop during University: some may be described as ingenious, others will save time and money, and then there are those eating habits that simply have no explanation at all.
1. You’ve run out of plates and really don’t fancy washing up the dirty dishes that have been festering in the sink for a week. But why even buy plates when you know you can eat from whatever you cooked your food in? Saucepans, woks and pyrex dishes are among the popular choices.
2. Buying a large £5 carry out pizza and having it for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Who could turn down the opportunity to buy your day’s worth of calories for the small price of a pizza?!
3. You want a sandwich and you’ve come to the end of your loaf. The slices are a bit green here and there but what does that matter? You either cut off the mould or enjoy building up your immune system by teasing it with that colourful green fungus.
4. You’ve convinced yourself that Pot Noodles are just as good as mum’s homemade dinners. There’s peas in there somewhere, right? So that’s got to count as healthy.
5. You forgot to take your meat out the freezer, AGAIN. Not to worry, you cook it from frozen and miraculously survive food poisoning. (P.s this is not recommended).
6. You use fish fingers or chicken nuggets in stir-frys and discover a magical new world of food. This sounds like a cheap student meal but the way those breadcrumbs soak up the sweet and sour sauce is just a thing beyond compare.
7. There’s always that one person who lives off microwaveable meals. And that one person is a genius. Student life is busy and microwavable meals are quick, easy, and very often taste better than anything you could cook from scratch anyway. And with supermarkets offering them for under a pound you can laugh at your housemate who just spent 5 pounds on fresh chicken breast only to turn it into charcoal.
8. There are so many diets around: the 5:2, the no carbs, the calorie controlled. How about the no fruit and veg diet? Alcohol is used as a substitute and you still seem to be okay.
9. You’ve started to eat food past its sell by date because it still smells okay and hasn’t turned grey yet. Your stomach seems to have grown stronger since you started University and you become more and more daring with those use by dates. Be careful though, food poisoning could be waiting just around the corner.
10. Eating Chilli, Chinese, or Curry for breakfast. Basically eating anything but ‘breakfast foods’ because everyone knows THE saying, right?: ‘Eat breakfast like a King, lunch like a Prince, and dinner like a pauper’.
11. Eating peanut butter from the jar because you’re bulking for the gym.
12. Eating Nutella from the jar because well does there really need to be a valid reason?
13. Basically eating anything from the jar because it fills you with a warm delight