12 Things You Should Hear To Help You Make It Through Your Fresher Year
Your fresher year is here and you want to make the most of it. But it’s easy to make a wrong turn when everything is so new. Follow these simple rules and you’ll be walking into 2nd year with no regrets.
1. Don’t spend the whole time in your room.
No matter how much you want to power through all 9 seasons of Scrubs, you’ll miss out on all the events where people find their new friends. Get out there and experience it or you may end up regretting it.
2. And it’s best to take one day off during Freshers’ Week to soberly find your way around campus.
Otherwise you will find yourself wandering aimlessly around completely lost shouting at strangers to help you find your way home. Not a good look for anyone, really.
3. Back up EVERYTHING important on your computer… twice.
Writing an essay is hard enough the first time.
4. Keep the kitchen tidy. Ish.
You don’t want something petty coming between you and your flatmates. Plus, when your mum visits you’ll be enlisted to scrub the place till it gleams. And no one wants to find mouldy veg behind the microwave…
5. Memorise your university’s address and postcode.
Always useful when you are craving a takeaway at 3am when you are STILL in the library.
6. Ignore third years who are selling their books.
They are just desperately trying to raise some money so they don’t have to go home. These CRUCIAL books for their fresher year are in fact… not. You’ll find you’ve suddenly spent 80 quid and you will never open a single one…
7. Do not streak through your student accommodation naked for a bet.
You will never get paid.
8. Ready meals from Iceland aren’t actually that bad.
Far less stressful than cooking…
9. Make friends with your lecturers.
When that dissertation crawls round you may find you have an advantage…
10. Hooking up with a housemate is always a bad idea.
Even though the walk of shame isn’t far, it isn’t fun for you or the others who live there when things inevitably go south.
11. Don’t be afraid to get drunk.
Maybe just not so much when you get into bed at 4am, are then woken up by a fire drill at 5am and then have a lecture at 9am. In this situation simply turn over and ignore the world until the pounding in your head goes away.
12. Accept that you will cry at least once.
It is almost certain that you will cry during this year, whether it be out of homesickness or simply that you just spent 40 minutes working out how to boil an egg and the yolk isn’t runny by the end of it. But don’t fear, fresher year is the year for making mistakes and coming out on top.