15 Things Photography Students Never Want To Hear
There are more of us than you might think, and we never want to hear the following things. Ever.
1. “Oh, you study Photography? Do you really need to a degree in that?”
You do if you want a degree in it…?
2. “So, do you just take photos all day then? I’m so jealous.”
Ha ha ha that’s funny 🙂
3. “There’s not much to it really, is there? All you do is fiddle some switches and press a button.”
You’re absolutely right. You don’t need to worry about composition, colour balance, white balance, focus & depth of field, the theory, the skill needed to use LightRoom and Photoshop…
4. “Are you going to be a photographer?”
Maybe I will, maybe I won’t.
5. “Why is the background blurry?”
It’s blurry intentionally. It’s a technique. It’s called a shallow depth of field.
6. “Can you be photographer tonight? I don’t want to do it and it’d be great experience for you anyway.”
Sure, I’ll just spend the entire evening taking candid photos of everyone else having fun.
7. “Can I edit the RAW files myself?”
No, you can’t; the RAW file is always mine. Never ask for it again.
8. “Why do photographers charge so much? I can take equally great photos myself on MY phone for FREE.”
If you say so.
9. “You can edit all my blemishes out on Photoshop, right?”
I am capable, yes. Will I? Probably not…
10. “Make sure you shoot my good side!”
I’ll be the judge of that.
11. “Don’t take a photo of me! My face’ll break your camera…”
I’m a photographer, not a counsellor. All I’ll say is that I promise this will be a good photo.
12. “Can I just use your photos? I don’t like any of those that I took.”
So you can steal them without crediting me?
13. “Can you remove your watermark? It’s spoiling the image.”
14. “Surely being a photographer doesn’t pay that well?”
Are you kidding? The photography trade is big money if done well.
15. “Wouldn’t it have been better to get some photography experience rather than a degree?”