14 Struggles Every Student From The Midlands Will Encounter at University
University life is a challenge for everyone at times. University life for a Midlander is even harder, especially when the rest of the UK doesn’t seem to believe it exists…
1. Trying to convince southerners that you’re not northern.
2. While simultaneously telling northerners that you’re not from the South either.
3. Then having a mild existential crisis because suddenly you don’t know where you belong.
4. No one has ever heard of where you’re actually from.
5. And you’ve had to accept the probability that no one ever will.
6. Your lack of accent seems to throw people off.
Unless you’re from Birmingham, of course.
7. And your inconsistent pronunciation of words creates even further confusion.
“Is it ‘bath’ or ‘barrth’? Because I swear you’ve said both?”
8. Getting dragged into drunken arguments about the North/South divide because you’re “impartial”.
9. Or causing friction among your new flatmates because you said “cob”.
10. Being asked whether anything actually happens there.
It’s the Midlands, not the middle of nowhere.
11. The tension when you meet a student from a part of the Midlands you don’t like.
Rams and Forest will never get on.
12. Or when someone tries to copy your take on the English language.
“Ay up, duck.”