24 Awkward British Problems You’ve Probably Encountered at University
University can be a very problematic time for the awkward and the British. And the awkward British.
1. Being asked to say ‘a few words’ about yourself.
2. Meeting so many new people in your first week that you forget their names but you feel too awkward to ask.
3. Pretending you’re really busy in your room because you feel too socially inept to go into the kitchen and talk to your new flatmates.
4. Having to watch your flatmate’s drama performance because you were too polite to say no.
5. Skipping a lecture to avoid the shame of walking in three minutes late.
6. When your favourite mug is stained from drinking too much tea but you can’t be bothered to wash it.
7. When you have to use your hair dryer to warm up because the heating has broken but you don’t want to be the one to complain again.
8. Finding it annoying when your parents call but feeling abandoned when they don’t.
9. Going out for an intellectual gathering with your new university friends and coming home with a sticky t-shirt, two traffic cones and a bruised knee.
10. Feeling like Richard Branson when your student loan comes in.
And spending like him too.