18 Struggles Every Media Studies Student Will Recognise
“No, we don’t watch films all day. Thanks for asking.”
1. Dreading telling people that you study Media Studies.
You have to mentally prepare yourself for the negativity.
2. Because people always assume that all you do is watch films all day.
If only 😅
3. When you actually spend the vast majority of your time writing essays.
You think Media Studies is easy? Try writing three 2,000 word essays all due on the same day.
4. Being fed up of people referring to your degree as a “Mickey Mouse” subject.
5. Or of people referring to themselves as “Directors” and “Cinematographers” after filming a 5 minute music video for an assignment.
You are a student OK, not Steven Spielberg. Yet.
6. The pain of having to accept that the only work experience you can get your hands on at this point is unpaid.
But it’s got to be done for the CV points.
7. Realising that doing a broad degree makes it incredibly difficult to decide what job you want to do.
You don’t even know what half the jobs out there entail.
8. Not being able to watch anything without critically analysing it.
“Wow what an amazing use of enigma codes and low saturation!”
9. And unpicking all of the hidden ideologies encoded in the text.
10. Feeling left out if you don’t have a MacBook to take to your lectures with you.
Apparently Media Studies has shares in Apple.
11. Questioning why you are paying £9,000 a year for a very minimal number of contact hours.
12. Never being sure whether you’re procrastinating or not when you’re on social media.
Technically it’s research?
13. Occasionally feeling as though you are studying a Sociology degree.
Karl Marx always manages to wangle his way in somehow.
14. Finding it incredibly frustrating when your lecturers, who are teaching a Media degree, do not know how to turn the computer on.
15. But then also getting annoyed when people assume that you know how to operate any form of media-related technology.
I am a Media Studies student, not a technician, thank you.
16. Having to learn the names of an endless list of theorists.
So many names. So many dates. So little memory. But Media Studies is really easy, of course.
17. Looking forward to using fancy equipment for the first time but then being too scared you’ll break it to actually enjoy the experience.
18. But the worst struggle of all is knowing that your course can’t last forever.
Because despite the negativity towards, you love it and wouldn’t wish to study anything else.