14 Unpsoken Rules You Should Follow When Living In A Student House
When it comes to living in a student house, there are some unspoken rules you need to follow if you want to keep the peace.
1. Never try to allocate a cleaning rota.
It will never work. The washing up pile will continue to grow regardless of whose turn it is to wash up.
2. Don’t use your housemates’ things.
Unless you can get away with it without them knowing, of course.
3. Refuse to be the only one who empties the bin.
Don’t be a doormat when it comes to taking out the bins; you’ll get no thanks for it.
4. Be wary of what you find hidden in the sofa.
Sofas in student houses are great, but they’re also gross.
5. Try not to think about the previous tenants.
Little reminders that you were not the first person to sleep in that bed are hard to move on from.
6. Accept the presence of mould.
Even if it’s not immediately noticeable, it will find you.
7. Never interfere with the washing machine.
If one of your housemates forgets their washing is still in the machine and you want to use it, don’t touch it, just try again later.
8. Stick to your shelf in the Fridge.
Choose wisely and don’t even think about spreading out – stray food is free food.
9. Always be prepared for when your parents are visiting.
And clean like you’ve never cleaned before.
10. Stick to your mess.
Stand your ground or you will become the house cleaner.
11. Don’t hog the shower.
You’ll be accused of time-wasting and making the bills more expensive.
12. Never organise predrinks without asking your housemates first.
The chances are, even if they do mind, they’ll say it’s fine because they like that you asked.