22 Things You’ll Only Understand If You’re a Master’s Student
If you’re a Master’s student, you’ll understand the following things.
1. The struggle to figure out if you’re allowed to be part of Freshers’.
You’re technically fresh to the course? Right?
2. And if you do turn up, you feel very out of place next to all the first year undergrads who still have no idea what they’ve signed up for.
3. The false sense of security you feel in your first lecture when most of the content seems to be on a par with things you already studied.
4. Until something incredibly new and alien is spoken about on the next slide and all of a sudden you’re completely lost.
5. And you realise that your Bachelor’s degree barely scratched the surface of the topic you’re now specialising in.
6. You have a genuine fear that everyone else is smarter than you.
7. And occasionally wonder if continuing to study was the right decision to make.
8. Especially when so many of your friends are getting graduate jobs and settling down.
9. You can’t help but resent how much money you’re having to spend at times.
10. As well as the fact that you pretty much have to accept that you’ll need to juggle a job with your studies.
Which isn’t stressful at all. 🙂🙂🙂
11. And learn to bite your tongue when you hear undergrads complaining in the library about their essays.
12. As much as you love having the time to properly research something you’re genuinely fascinated by…
13. It doesn’t take long to feel as though your thesis is taking over your entire life.
14. If you’re not writing it, you’re talking about it…
15. And whenever you try to take a break from it, the guilt catches up with you.
16. You feel under more pressure than ever to create some revolutionary research.
17. And to know exactly what you’re doing afterwards.
Because otherwise why did you bother doing an MA, right? 🙃
18. The worry that even with a Master’s degree, you’ll still struggle to find a job.
19. Or that you’ll accidentally get stuck in education forever.
“Forget the future, I could just do a PhD…” 🤔
20. Not knowing what to do with yourself after you finally submit your thesis.
21. But looking forward to getting to graduate a second time.
And with the different coloured Master’s robes this time. 😏