22 Signs You’ve Got Third Year Fear
University: one day you’re a care free first year, the next, you’re sobbing on the library warden’s shoulder at 1am, trying to simultaneously Harvard reference your dissertation while applying for every grad scheme you come across.
WHERE DID ALL THE TIME GO?
1. You seriously regret your first & second year mantra of ‘putting off today what can be done tomorrow’.
2. You blame your career service for not staging an intervention.
3. It suddenly dawns on you just how little practical application your degree has in the real world.
4. You deeply resent your organised friends who have happily secured grad schemes already.
5. You start to consider unconventional career paths as viable options.
6. Every smug status you read about a finished essay/dissertation/job offer feels like taking a bullet.
7. You finally meet your personal tutor for the first time in 3 years and beg for their help.
8. You take comfort eating to new extremes.
9. You develop a serious caffeine addiction to keep up with the amount of work/life admin you have to get through.
10. You scowl, roll your eyes and spit at happy first years as they pass by you.
11. You throw a tantrum every time anyone asks you about your ‘plans’ after university.
12. Anxiety gives way to writer’s block.
13. The library starts asking you to pay rent.
14. Sleeping isn’t an option any more.
15. You volunteer for anything and everything in a last ditch attempt to get some ‘work experience’ on your CV.
16. You curse your parents for not being richer or better connected.
17. The realisation that you’ll never get a student loan again seems unfathomable.
18. You trawl the internet to apply for literally any job you can find.
19. You’re suddenly very sentimental about EVERYTHING at university. Even the things you hate.
20. Personal hygiene takes a back seat to studying/applying for said jobs.
21. You’ve taken to researching backpacking holidays. This will definitely buy you more time before real life kicks in.
22. You regress to your first year self on nights out to try and recapture the good old days.
“C’MON EVERYONE! JUST ONE MORE JAGER?!”.
So, what can you do about it?
Companies are hiring 2016 grads right now. Register with GradTouch and get ahead of the job hunt.