15 Reasons To Be Excited for Autumn
The summer days have drifted away, the nights are drawing in, there’s a chill in the air and the jocks around campus have been seen wearing trousers and shoes instead of the usual shorts and flip flops combo. That’s right, it’s Autumn. But there’s no need to let the change of season get you down – here’s a list of reasons to love this time of year:
1. It’s time to wrap up warm in scarves, hats, gloves and comfy knitted jumpers.
AKA a perfect excuse for a whole new autumnal wardrobe.
2. Soup, homemade stews and hot chocolate. Enough said.
3. Halloween – the perfect excuse to whack out the fancy dress and remember the immortal words of Cady from Mean Girls: ‘Halloween is the one day a year when a girl can dress up like a total slut and no other girls can say anything about it’.
4. Have conker competitions. Because you’re never too old.
As a kid, there was nothing more exciting than going looking for conkers, searching underneath the leaves and finding those shiny brown gems – then DESTROYING THEM.
5. You can spend all day under your duvet watching films, and not even feel bad about it because it’s too cold to go outside anyway.
6. Bonfire Night. Fireworks, hot dogs and candyfloss, sparklers… what can beat it?
7. The smell of a wood fire.
8. There’s just nothing quite so satisfying as jumping into a pile of really crisp, crunchy leaves. Again and again and again.
9. Taking cold, crisp morning walks. Refreshing and a great hangover cure.
10. It’s a little-known event, but many places in Britain have Apple Day celebrations in October – they’re like big village fairs with a lot of free food and drink tasters.
11. And with apples comes cider, and with cider comes cider festivals.
12. No more sunburn. You can put away the aftersun until next year.
13. You can carve (and eat) pumpkins.
14. Candles. Candles everywhere. Just don’t burn down your house…
15. And finally, Sloe Gin. It’s surprisingly easy to make – just gin, sloes and a lot of sugar – and tastes amazing.
Autumn is the best.