18 Things You Should Know Now You’re Going To UEA
Congratulations UEA freshers of 2015/16! Now you’ve got your results and have been accepted to UEA there are a few things you need to know about the place you will spend the next three years of your life.
1. You Can’t Catch the Rabbits.
We’ve all tried.
2. All of your extra money will be spent on smoothies from The Hive or potato wedges in Blend.
Give in to the deliciousness.
3. Only bring the essentials – Rooms and kitchens in halls really aren’t that big.
You don’t need ten cushions, every pair of shoes you’ve ever owned, a rice steamer, 100 video games and your pet rock.
4. Bring a bike. It will save you tonnes of money spent on buses into Norwich.
Bus prices aren’t great and they’re always late.
5. Go to the sports fair – You might discover something great you’ve never even thought of trying.
We have a climbing club, pole fitness, windsurfing and even ultimate frisbee.
6. Your worst enemy is now Essex Uni.
Bring on Derby Day 2016.
7. Nothing is far away on campus. You can have a lie in.
Even Wolfson Close and The Village are near something.
8. There ain’t no party like a Norfolk Terrace party.
Sorry if you aren’t living there but there will be plenty of parties with great views of the lake, drinking games crammed round the big metal tables with people strewn up the stairs and along the walkways.
9. Have no shame dressing up & dancing like an idiot in the LCR.
No one else does.
10. Look out for the Media Collective during freshers week.
You might become famous on their YouTube channel or even get a shout out on the Radio. Another great Society to join – go and chat to them, they don’t bite.
11. Remember the new Avengers HQ? Look familiar?
12. The 25 bus is stopping the night service.
This has been essential for students getting safely back to campus on a night out or from working late. There’s a petition you can sign to stop this happening – https://www.change.org/p/first-bus-norwich-keep-the-night-bus
13. Nothing beats a game of pool in the Blue Bar.
Get a few pints in, have a few nachos and stick a quid on the table.
14. The Library has all the textbooks & it’s open 24/7.
Don’t go out and spend a tonne before you’ve checked if they’re in the library.
15. Pimp My Barrow is the best event of the year.
Start planning your costumes early.
16. No matter how tempting, don’t jump in the lake.
It’s really nasty & apparently full of eels.
17. Ask about the 5 L’s.
See if anyone has really done them. Decide if you’re up for the challenge – though I really don’t advise it.
18. Enjoy UEA.
We love it. You’ll love it too. Enjoy first year – after all you only need 40% to pass.