10 Painful Struggles Graduates Face When Dealing With HMRC
So you’re out in the real world. Whether you’re self employed or working for a company, it’s one heck of a horror dealing with tax, national insurance, VAT, rebates, returns, income, expenses…
I’m already confused.
1. Registering employment.
So many options. So many questions. WHERE DO I START?!
2. Make a mistake and you pay.
There’s a serious fear that if you do something wrong, one time, they won’t forget it.
3. Calling them for help.
Don’t make any plans for the next few hours. Seriously.
4. Tax returns.
Wait, I was supposed to keep records of everything? You’re kidding, right?
5. Penalty fares.
Serious punishment for not sticking to deadlines? Take me back to childhood. Now Please.
6. The dread of receiving something in the post.
Oh no. This looks important. Do I owe money? Am I getting money back?
7. The constant fear of being done for tax evasion.
We are new to this! We’re innocent and honestly need some kind of guidance. Please don’t punish us.
8. Not knowing whether or not to celebrate when you receive money.
Wait a minute… is this a mistake? Are they going to ask for it back? I don’t trust it…
9. Still having to depend on your parents.
Seriously, they know best. Expect to give them a panicked phone call every now and again.
10. And it all means that you’re officially an adult.