The 22 Best, Worst and Funniest Student Moments From 2014
The Mercury Music Prize has been awarded, the Christmas Number 1 is as predictable as ever and bloggers everywhere are cultivating their Top Movies of the Year lists. With the New Year in sight we’ve compiled a list of our own, because these students deserve a special mention.
We’ve taken a look back at 2014 and assorted the most amusing, foolish and inspiring student events of the past year.
1. The two students who wanted to get out of their final exams so badly, they asked someone to run them over.
Back in May two students at the University of Georgia took to Craigslist for help with their exams. Instead of looking for a tutor or some spare research books, they wanted a stranger to run them over. Listed in the “Skilled Trades” section the students didn’t offer a cash reward instead the driver would be rewarded with “hitting two lovely ladies by vehicle w/ permission”.
2. The student who stripped at his graduation.
…and was subsequently stripped of his degree. Read the story…
3. When Jesse Tarnes, a student from Wesleyan University (USA), fought off Campus Police by claiming he was Justin Timberlake.
Ah, oldest trick in the book. Read the story…
4. The lucky students who found £23,000 in their second-hand sofa.
At University you develop a sixth sense for how to save money. Locating the reduced shelf at Sainsburys and sacrificing your health for the sake of gambling on some 50p sausages become instinctive. Well, imagine if one day you’re watching TV at two in the afternoon and you find £23,000 stuffed down your stained floral sofa. Two students from the State University of New York did and, being the gents they are, returned the money to the woman addressed on the envelope. Fortunately for them though, the woman rewarded them with £1000 each. No more risky sausages until next year then. Read the story…
5. When University of Kent football team chose a porn site for a Sponsor.
Remember when The Rutherford Raiders at the University of Kent had ‘PornHub’ on their shirts? Needless to say, they weren’t allowed to play.
6. When a Hull student became the youngest elected woman in UK history at just 21.
Most 21-year olds are suffering from post-university blues and living at home again with their parents while searching for work experience in jobs that require prior work experience. Not Rosie Corrigan, who back in May became the Mayor of Selby as a representative of Labour: “the mayoral chains are a heavy piece of Selby history and now my name will be carved on them too.”
7. The time a canadian engineering student built a rollercoaster in his back garden.
Queen’s University student David Chesney took four years to put the construction together in his backyard in Toronto. He named it ‘The Minotaur’. What a time to be alive.
8. When a footballing father achieved a First Class degree.
Levi Hanssen, a former student at the University of Portsmouth, graduated this year with a First Class Honours despite also playing international football and raising a two-year-old daughter. You have no excuses.
9. The student who answered all our dreams by developing a pill to cure hangovers.
Brookes Powell invtened the elixir of life earlier this year with Thrive+, according to Powell it “protects your brain and body from the negative effects of alcohol while supplementing your body to breakdown alcohol’s toxic by-products”. Perfect with a bacon sandwich then. Read the story…
10. The student who used Facebook to lie about being on a gap year in Asia.
Zilla long conned everyone this year with her fake gap year. A cautionary tale about why people who constantly upload pictures abroad are social media banes. Read the story…
11. That student who went abroad and returned as a porn star.
Luke-Kristopher Davis, a physics student from Swansea University, left Wales for Barcelona in the summer and went all ‘Boogie Nights’ and returned a part-time porn star. He even wrote about it on his Physics blog. Read the story…
12. The American student who accepted a Place at University after they sent a letter to his cat.
As ‘Hang Time’ and other American teen-dramas show us, students who play sports have a certain gold standard for colleges. Earlier this year, Rice University showed this by courting J.T. Granato and eventually sending a letter to his cat in a way to persuade him to choose them. The stunt worked and he is now their leading quarterback and probable future Prom King. Read the story…
13. The two students who wrote a poem to Tesco… and received an excellent reply.
14. The Oxford student who crowdfunded her Master’s Degree.
After successfully funding a very expensive potato salad, as well as supporting a Pizza Museum, the hubbub website also helped Emily-Rose Eastop finance her £26,000 MSc course in Cognitive and Evolutionary Anthropology.
15. The Nottingham Trent student who designed and wore her own shoes to graduation… then fell over.
16. The student who needed to be rescued by Fire Fighters after getting stuck in a giant vagina.
17. The students who partied so hard the floor fell through.
This happened twice this year. Big shout out to the students in Manchester and Birmingham who brought some roofs down. Read the story…
18. The University of Cumbria student who paid off his fees using Bitcoins.
On the 7th of May Leander Bindewald, a PhD student at the University of Cumbria, paid the equivalent of one month’s tuition fees with 1. 032 bitcoins. Read the story…
19. The time UEA students were actively encouraged to pee in the shower.
Debs Torr and Chris Dobson proposed a contentious and new approach to environmentalism on campus – by campaigning for people to wee while taking their daily shower to save water: “We’ve done the maths, and this project stands to have a phenomenal impact.”
20. When someone sent a one word email to 29,000 UCL students.
#bellogate. Read the story… for some incredible responses.
21. When Kwasi Enin became the first student to be accepted into all 8 Ivy League universities.
Brown, Columbia, Cornell, Dartmouth, Harvard, Princeton, Yale and the University of Pennsylvania.
22. And finally, who could forget that time Teeside SU tweeted a screenshot with a porn tab open.
Always check your tabs. Read the story…
Hopefully we’ll have an equally eventful 2015.