18 Facts You Probably Didn’t Know About York
York is a pretty fascinating place, but it probably wouldn’t be your specialist subject on Mastermind. Here are some facts you may not have known about this beautiful city.
1. York was voted the safest place to visit in 2010…
2. Despite being named the most haunted city in Europe, with over 500 ghost sightings reported.
3. York maintains the most complete city walls surviving in England.
4. And it is still legal to shoot a Scotsman within those city walls, but only if they are carrying a bow and arrow… and NEVER on a Sunday.
5. The Mecca Bingo building was once home to the Rialto Theatre.
Top billings included The Beatles (1963) and The Rolling Stones (1964).
6. When the Beatles played the Rialto, the police even had a strategy called ‘The Beatle Plan’.
100 policemen were drafted in to control crowds of adoring fans before and after the show!
7. The Shambles is the most well-known street in York, and was the inspiration for Diagon Alley in the Harry Potter films.
8. And Whip-Ma-Whop-Ma-Gate has the longest street name in York despite being only 32 metres long.
Making it the shortest street in the city.
9. In 1995-6, York City Football Club beat Manchester United 3-0 in a League Cup match.
Oh how times have changed…
10. Other Northern Cities relied on steel production or coal mining, but York’s fortune rested on the chocolate industry.
11. York holds the biggest Food and Drink Festival in Great Britain every September.
12. Pop-rock band Elliot Minor are from York.
So if you’re a former emo kid, enjoy:
13. The University of York is one of the biggest employers in the area, with almost 4,000 employees.
14. Harry Enfield is a York alumnus, graduating with a BA in Politics.
Turns out, loads of interesting famous people went to UOY.
15. York is the only place outside of Rome to have seen the coronation of a Roman Emperor.
Emperor Constantine was crowned in York in 306AD, his statue can be seen outside the Minster.
16. Comedian Joe Lycett’s infamous parking fine occurred in York, inspiring this joke:
If you haven’t seen it, you need to 😂
17. Lycett came back to York in late 2015 and took a picture on the spot he got the ticket with fans after performing at The Duchess.
18. York pretty much has one pub for every day of the year.
The most important fact of all. So, if in doubt, your evening plans are always sorted…