20 Stages of Your Parents Visiting You at University
You can’t put them off visiting forever.
1. Hurriedly attempting to make your student house look somewhat presentable before they arrive.
2. And wishing you’d just stayed in the night before.
3. Because you feel excited to see them but also want to just go back to bed.
4. Warning your housemates not to make a mess anywhere now you’ve cleaned.
5. And asking them for inspiration for parent-friendly places to visit.
6. Trying to look pleased to see them rather than awkward and uncomfortable.
7. And convincing them that all the beer cans in the recycling box are just a build up of several week’s worth of drinking.
“These aren’t all from last night, are they?”
8. Offering them something to eat or drink and hoping you actually do have something other than cheap vodka and leftover pizza.
9. Giving them a quick tour of the house and hoping that if your housemates appear they are actually decent.
10. Rushing them past anything that’s broken or inappropriate in the house.
11. And reassuring them that your landlord is definitely coming to fix that broken fridge this week.
12. Introducing them to your housemates and trying to make sure none of them drop you in it.
13. Cringing at their embarrassing conversations.
14. And regularly dropping hints that you should all get going soon.
“You didn’t travel all this way just to see the inside of my house!”
15. Leaving them with your housemates while you go and get ready and hoping that neither party embarrass you.
16. Feeling suspicious when you hear laughter while you’re not present.
17. Taking them on an obligatory tour of campus and hoping they don’t embarrass you.
18. Trying not to sound too desperately enthusiastic when they offer to take you shopping.
19. Actually feeling more upset than you expected to when it comes to saying goodbye.
You’ve been coping fine all semester. What’s happened?!