14 Warnings Every Bangor Fresher Needs To Hear Before They Start
Starting at Bangor University this month? Here are some things you should probably know.
1. Reichel is most definitely* haunted.
*probably. Rumour has it there’s a ghost of a nurse who wonders around looking for male students to castrate.
2. You will have to endure a 4am fire drill, and if just one person doesn’t make it out the building on time you’ll have to redo it until you get it right.
And you will be drunk/hungover at the time.
3. And to make that whole experience worse, the fire alarm is bilingual.
“THERE IS A FIRE, EVACUATE IMMEDIATELY *SCREAMS IN WELSH*”
4. Speaking of Welsh, you’ll be hearing and seeing a lot of it.
If you don’t already speak it, try to learn at least a few basics.
5. The *compulsory* fire safety talk lasts ten thousands hours. And you’ll be told not to dry your underwear in the microwave.
6. Attempt the Greedy Bastard challenge and you will fail.
Found at Mike’s Bites, a fry-up cafe that will drag you out of any hangover, the Greedy Bastard is notoriously difficult.
7. The blackout curtains in your halls will confuse your sense of time.
And be the reason you miss many 9am lectures.
8. You’ll be woken up every week by people collecting sanitary bins. Even if you’re a male or your bin is empty.
9. If you get locked out or lose your key card, you will be charged.
10. Cash machines will ask you to choose a language before you can do anything.
And you will accidentally select “Cymraeg” when drunk, making it exceptionally difficult to withdraw money.
11. You should learn how to pronounce where you live pretty quickly, otherwise Taxi rides home could end up costing a lot.
12. No matter how tempted you are when drunk, racing people up Bitch Hill never ends well.
Unless your idea of “well” is throwing up at the entrance to Morrisons car park and being filmed / laughed at by passers by.
13. You’ll hear scary stories of “pizza house lady” but don’t let that stop you going.
She’s great and so are her pizzas 🙅 🍕
14. But most importantly: it is always windy.
Stay clear of the pier on particularly gusty days.