19 Reactions You’ll Recognise When Applying For Jobs
No matter whether you know what you want to do or not, or whether you got a 1st or a 2:2, some experiences on the job hunt are universal.
1. When you open your CV for the first time in years and look back on what you wrote.
2. When you spend ages tailoring your CV and writing a cover letter but still have to fill out an online application form.
3. When all the jobs you want require at least 2 years experience.
4. When you say how “passionate” you are about the company.
5. When the page times out and you have to start all over.
6. When the application asks you to list your qualities and skills.
7. And then you realise you don’t have any.
8. When your friend gets an offer but you’re still waiting to hear back from the 10,000 companies you applied for.
9. When you find a spelling mistake in the CV you’ve been sending out.
10. When you try to remain optimistic after getting rejected for the tenth time.
“I am totally fine.”
11. When you accidentally put the wrong company name in your cover letter.
So many applications. So hard to keep track.
12. When people try to help but end up being condescending and patronising.
13. When you get a phone call back saying, “Hi I’d like to talk to you about your application” and you have to pretend you know who they are.
“Yep, of course I remember… erm, what’s the company called again?”
14. When you regret signing up to so many jobs boards.
SO. MANY. EMAILS.
15. Spending hours on an application before realising the closing date has passed.
16. Having to submit things in Word doc format.
17. When you find a reply in your junk box.
All this time.
18. When it gets to the point where you’ve accepted your defeat and stop reading emails after “We’re sorry…”
19. And when, after countless applications, you finally get a positive response.
You’d almost given up entirely.