26 Stages of Graduate Life, As Told By Rachel Green
“I’ll be there for you” they said. Who? Where are they? Why is no one here for me!?
1. You can’t imagine your life out of education.
2. The transition hits you hard.
3. Moving back home brings out the former teenager in you.
4. Sometimes you take it too far.
5. You start the job hunt with a hint of optimism.
6. But it doesn’t take long for reality to check in.
7. You comfort yourself the only way you know how.
8. Which doesn’t help with your “I can still pretend to be a student, right?” attitude.
9. Because you definitely can’t.
Something your friends just love to point out.
10. You’ve had more than your fair share of bad days.
11. Despite all those years living independently at university, you still struggle to function.
12. And any attempt to “act your age” is met with criticism and judgement.
13. You frequently remind yourself that things are fine.
14. Until you remember about the whole job situation.
15. Your stopgap has you looking like this…
16. And everyone else seems to be having way more luck than you.
17. Which is turning you a little bitter.
18. Family parties are your worst nightmare right now.
19. The questions about your life plans are relentless.
“Are you with anyone yet?” “Have you found a good job yet?”
20. Most of the time you can’t help but wonder what it is you’re doing wrong.
21. The rejections from graduate jobs keep coming in.
You try your best not to get upset about each and every one.
22. And you almost give up entirely.
23. But finally, after months of wallowing in daytime TV, something happens.
24. You find a job you’re proud to tell people about.
25. Which is great. Until The Student Loans Company comes back into your life.
26. And you realise that finding the job was just the first hurdle.
Now you’re expected to be one of those adults who have everything together.
You get there eventually.