28 Questions Every English Language and Linguistics Student Has Asked
With all the fricatives and bilabial plosives, it’s hard not to ask questions.
1. Why is this not a BSc?
2. When are people going to stop asking me how many languages I speak?
3. Why didn’t I just do languages instead?
4. What is a diphthong!?
5. How I do pronounce that?
6. Where the hell is my IPA chart when you need it?
7. Will I ever know this by heart?
In a word: nəʊ
8. What’s with all these multilingual people in my lectures?
9. Why did I have to have monolingual parents?
10. Why isn’t David Crystal my dad?
11. Will sociolinguistics ever stop being this dull? It’s like A-level on repeat.
12. Does anyone really know what’s going on in Phonetics?
13. Seriously, what is this all about?
14. Is it too late to change module?
15. Why didn’t I just do child language acquisition? WHY.
16. Why can I not figure out where this person is from? I should know this.
17. What is my accent? Do I even have one?
18. I wonder what my idiosyncrasies are.
19. At what point do I become that guy from Lie To Me?
20. Why do 3rd years get all the good modules?
21. Do I have to read EVERYTHING by Trudgill?
22. Why didn’t anyone warn me how upsetting the Cognitive module would be?
23. Am I just going to be an English Language teacher after this?
24. How hard is it to become a speech therapist?
25. I wonder if I could get some free elocution lessons from a lecturer?
26. Are half of these terms even real words?
27. Why does Microsoft Word not appreciate my language skills? There are red and green lines everywhere.
28. Case? Like a suitcase?
We get there eventually.