29 Times Watching Mad Men Made You Wish You Studied Advertising
Smoking, office drinking, frequent naps and then some more smoking. Advertising is a glamorous industry, if Mad Men is anything to go by.
1. When we fist saw the genius of Don Draper.
2. Which led to that famous saying.
3. When Peggy went from secretary to copywriter.
4. And wasn’t afraid to look after her own interests.
5. Every time someone was drinking while working.
Which was all the time.
6. The time they fooled their competitors with the motorcycle.
Which gave us this brilliant moment.
7. When this happened.
Also in the office.
8. That time Don stunned everyone with his Kodak “carousel” pitch.
“This device isn’t a spaceship, it’s a time machine. It takes us to a place where we ache to go again.” “It’s not called the Wheel, it’s called the Carousel. It lets us travel the way a child travels: round and round, then back home again. To a place where we know we are loved.”
9. When Lane called Pete a “grimy little pimp” then punched him in the face.
Okay, so maybe not the most career-inspiring moment, but one we all enjoyed nonetheless.
10. Every time someone casually said something profound.
Just doing their job.
11. When Megan saved the Heinz Beans project while at dinner with the clients.
12. When Don wrote that letter.
13. That time there was a lawnmower in the office.
14. Until, you know..
15. But it did give us one of the best quotes from the series.
16. When the women were starting to become more powerful.
17. And when Harry Crane’s bitching about being left out finally got him where he wanted to be.
For a bit…
18. After this dramatic shot of the partners and their growing company.
19. When we saw Don’s cool new office.
20. When people started to visit California. Just because.
21. When Pete fell down the stairs.
Again, not career-inspiring. But if you had to work with someone like Pete, you’d enjoy seeing him in pain every now and then.
22. The time Peggy saw through all the bullshit.
23. And when Don told some hard truths.
24. When they got Jaguar.
(Though not necessarily how).
25. But mainly it was all about: Shots like this.
26. And this.
27. Roger giving zero fucks.
28. Don looking this cool.
29. And watching Peggy become a total badass.
Though it’s fair to say you wouldn’t wish to be in that era. Unless you were a straight, white man.