40 Struggles You’ll Recognise If You Played Video Games In The 90s
Despite growing up in the golden era of video games, we faced a lot of problems…
1. Not being able to see your Game Boy screen when it got dark…
2. …so you had to buy one of these ugly things
3. The smug look on your friend’s face when they performed a finishing move on you on Mortal Kombat
4. Trying to sheild your half of the screen when playing Golden Eye multiplayer
5. Having a fierce moral debate with yourself about whether or not you should get your PS1 chipped
6. Losing all your rings in Sonic right before the boss
7. Not having enough space left on your memory card
And having to carefully pick a sacrifice to make room.
8. Being too young to cope with intense emotional moments like these
9. Having to go through the ordeal of linking up with a mate so you could evolve your Kadabra into an Alakazam
10. Playing Tekken against button-bashing friends
11. Having to rely on luck as opposed to pure gaming skill in Alex Kidd
Rock, Paper, Scissors – really!?
12. Buying a four-player game only to realise your console only has two controller ports…
13. …so you had to buy one of these ugly things
14. Being the weaker sibling and having to play as Tails
Begging for Sonic to stop moving so you could land. Ah well, we had our moments too…
15. Your PC was so slow and rubbish it couldn’t run the most basic games without crashing
16. Your batteries running out after a long day of playing Game boy without saving
You don’t know despair until this has happened to you. A whole day… wasted.
17. Growing up only to realise that an aggressive attitude won’t help in your actual driving test
18. Playing games with a birds-eye view. Enough said
19. Trying to time your spin attack perfectly on Crash Bandicoot without blowing yourself up
20. Having an entire collection of games you never even once completed
Gaming was hard back then.
21. Bosses were particularly difficult. They don’t make them like this any more
22. How you could spend a few hours “playing” video games but actually you were just watching your older brother complete Ocarina of Time
23. Having to wait weeks before you could progress to the next level because you needed to buy a magazine with all the answers.
24. Pressing buttons impatiently when playing Pokémon and accidentally using Tail Whip in a crucial battle with Gary
25. AV issues were frequent, meaning you had to put up with playing in black & white for a while
“What is this, the 80s?”
26. Not having enough time to finish the games you rented from Blockbuster
27. Having nightmares about butlers because of the creep in Tomb Raider who just wouldn’t leave you alone
You locked him in the freezer, didn’t you?
28. Panicking and wasting your “special” on easy enemies
29. Being so stuck (probably on Ocarina of Time or FFVII) that you actually had to call up a helpline
30. This guy getting in the way when you were trying to fight a boss
31. Quickly switching from GTA to Rugrats so your mum didn’t see anything violent
Both great games.
32. Negotiating the awkwardly shaped (but brilliant) N64 controller
33. Not being able to play a game without first blowing into the cartridge
34. Never getting very far in Silent Hill or Resident Evil because you were literally too scared to play
35. Choosing your best friend based on what console they had. No point in both of you having a SNES, was there?
37. Having that one game on a cartridge you never played
Such a waste…
38. Buying a Dreamcast, only for the Ps2 to come out shortly after
The greatest struggle of all.
39. Feeling guilty about all the cute creatures you MERCILESSLY EXPLODED in Mega Bomberman
40. And the age-old question… Croc or Spyro?
Those were the days.