16 Things You’ll Understand If You Already Hate Your Dissertation
You’ve not even started it yet but you already know it belongs in the bin.
1. You put off properly thinking about it for as long as possible.
2. Even when other people on your course had already started to do their literature reading, you still had no solid idea.
3. “You really should be finalising your topic now” they said in second year, but you didn’t.
4. “Dissertations are for final year” you told yourself.
5. “I don’t need to worry just yet”
6. The summer between second and final year came around and you still didn’t know wtf you were doing.
With your diss or your life.
7. And you weren’t 100% who your supervisor even was.
8. You tried to just enjoy summer, thinking about your dissertation very little. If at all.
9. And now final year is actually here. It’s actually really here.
10. Fuck it. That vague, really rough idea you came up with when drunk in second year is now your legit real-life dissertation topic.
11. You never intended for it to be but you have no choice now. You just have to go with it.
Why do we do this to ourselves????
12. You’re really behind and everyone knows it.
You hope things will work out. They don’t.
13. Now you actually have to start working on it, you wish you’d started sooner so you still had time to change topics.
14. And after ignoring your supervisor all summer, you now get annoyed at them for not responding to you.
You try your best to get their attention, but there’s no hope for you now.
15. “I’ll just have to make up for it in my other modules” you say, thinking about the year ahead.
16. And spend the rest of your time working out what percentages you’ll need if you do actually fail your dissertation.
It’s gonna be a fun year.