10 Essential Things You Need To Know Before You Look For A Student House In York
Let’s be honest. It’s only October, but chances are you’re already thinking about where you’re going to live next year. It can be a bit stressful and there’s a lot to consider before you sign anything, so here’s some essential info.
1. Don’t panic. Loads of help is available to you.
Nearer the time, both your college and YUSU will hold events, talks, or give out advice. You don’t have to figure it all out on your own!
2. There are more student houses in York than there are students to rent them.
So don’t rush into something that might not be the best deal.
3. BUT some agencies take into account how early you register with them.
If you end up in competition with other people for your dream house this may be a factor.
4. You can still live on campus after first year.
If you want to stay so you can still roll out of bed and into a 9am lecture, go for it.
5. And you can live in any college.
Not just the one you’re a member of.
6. York. Is. So. Cold.
You will probably end up hibernating from November-March. Make sure you’ll have a well insulated house with a good energy efficiency rating to hide in.
7. You may have to make some sacrifices.
It’s unlikely you’ll get to be on a bus route, near campus, have a big bedroom AND not pay a lot of rent. So consider what your priorities are and try to find likeminded future housemates.
8. Safety is really important.
Generally York is very safe, but there have been instances in which student homes have been targeted. Make sure you’re happy with the location and check if there’s a burglar alarm etc. AND ALWAYS LOCK THE FRONT DOOR FGS SMH.
9. There are on-campus summer storage options.
A lifesaver if your move-in date is after you leave halls and you have too much stuff to take home.
10. You don’t have to pay agency fees.
Not if you use The Student Agency, which is an alternative letting agency for students in York. It is both student-run and free for students. Click below to check them out.