20 Things Every Female Engineering Student Will Understand
“Yes I study engineering. Yes, really.”
1. You knew you were always going to be in the minority.
2. But went in on your first day hoping to see at least a few other women on your course.
3. But it probably didn’t work out that way.
4. People always look weirdly surprised when you tell them you study Engineering.
5. Or ~accidentally~ say something patronising.
6. You notice people say “but isn’t that really hard?” more often to you than your male course mates.
7. You spend all day everyday hearing about all the great things men have done.
8. And most of your friends are probably guys.
9. All the lecturers know your name.
10. And therefore it’s impossible to ever miss a class.
11. Sometimes you just want to walk into a lecture without feeling like everyone is looking at you.
12. You’re always told how “lucky” you are because “female engineers are in demand right now.”
13. You’re either the first or last person everyone wants on their group project team.
14. And if you want to take the lead you better be prepared to face objections.
15. Because some people will probably try to give you the least amount of work.
16. That feeling of happiness when you bump into another girl doing Engineering.
17. There are times when you wish you’d studied something else.
When everything just keeps getting harder 😣😣
18. And you dream of being on a course where you’re not always under the spotlight just because you’re one of 6 girls out of 110 boys.
19. But then you remember how good it feels when you do well.
20. And know that you just can’t wait to graduate. Even if you do end up in a photo like this.
Are you ready to start your graduate engineering career?
Arup are hiring for their 2017 intake of engineering graduates. Click below to find out more and apply.