22 Signs You’re a York Student Who’s Still Not Over The Loss of Willow
If you were of the Willow generation, you’ll know that there are some losses from which you can simply never move on.
1. You have a playlist consisting entirely of cheesy pop songs and 80s power ballads.
The Game of Thrones theme tune also makes an honorary appearance, of course.
2. The song Africa by Toto brings a tear to your eye.
I BLESS THE RAINS DOWN IN AFRICA
3. You refuse to shop at Clinton Cards out of principle.
We’ll never forgive you, Clintons.
4. And you wear your “Love it or hate it” t-shit with pride.
Can't believe Willow has closed it's doors for the last time 😢 pretty certain there will never be a club as cheesy, grotty or brilliant. RIP ❤ #loveitorhateit #willow #willowyork #90scheese #prawncrackers #grottytoilets #shots #willowstampofdoom #TommyFong #favouritememories #weloveyouwillow #York #goodbye #RIP #whatdoIdowithmylifenow
5. Your room is like a shrine to the The Willow Disco.
6. And you’re always slightly suspicious of prawn crackers.
They were hella grubby… I once saw someone accidentally knock the prawn crackers onto the floor, then just scoop them up and put them back in the tub. No word of a lie.
7. You still have lots of numbers in your phone with names like “Lizzie from Willow” or “Girl from Willow toilets who said my hair was nice.”
If they were in Willow, they were automatically your friend.
8. In fact, you met quite a few of your friends in Willow.
The Willow bond can never be broken.
9. You take any opportunity to tell a crazy anecdote about back in the day.
Life just got a lot more boring after Willow closed.
10. And you’ve got used to the eye roll from Freshers when they have to hear about “that closed down club” again.
11. You know all the names of the legendary Fong family.
Maybe you even follow Vicki and Becki on Twitter.
12. And Tommy is your ultimate hero.
Seriously, the guy was 70 and was in Willow every night until closing. ❤️
13. Noobs be asking you what that hand gesture is.
14. Scenes like this are perfectly normal to you.
— beth. (@beth_hampton) July 27, 2015
15. You are always outraged at the price of sambuca/tequila shots.
£2.50, are you having a laugh? They should be £1!
16. And amazed by the cleanliness of the toilets.
Compared with the Willow toilets, everywhere else is luxury.
17. Or how unsticky the floor is.
I don’t think they ever cleaned it?
18. You’re not ashamed to admit that some of the happiest nights of your life were spent at a grimy Chinese disco.
I am very sad that Willow is closing @YorkVision. I once cried in there drunk and once asked, told my mate "I'm just so happy, that's why."
— Scott Bryan (@scottygb) July 26, 2015
19. And it upsets you that York students will never again experience how amazing such a shit place can be.
20. You honestly miss Willow more than you miss actual people.
You would queue for three hours for one last night there…
21. You might even consider getting the Willow stamp tattooed onto your arm forever.
22. But despite the heartache you’re still glad you’ve loved and lost rather than never loved at all.
Gone but not forgotten xxx