23 Mistakes Every University of Birmingham Student Has Made at Least Once
You won’t be the first, nor will you be the last.
1. Thinking you can make it to a Thursday 9am after going to Sports Night and staying ‘til the end.
Because you’ll be fine, right? Right?!
2. Walking too slowly through the Arts Building revolving doors and almost getting crushed by the people behind you.
Go to the other doors instead. It’s not worth risking your life.
3. Forgetting which lift you’re supposed to take in Muirhead and ending up on the wrong floor.
Why do there need to be so many? And why are the screens so far away?
4. Or choosing to take the stairs instead.
So much regret.
5. Getting a taxi to Fab instead of just walking and arriving while it’s still absolutely dead.
“It is Saturday, isn’t it?”
6. Making direct eye contact with people handing out flyers on campus.
Pretend to be on the phone. Pretend you don’t speak English. Anything.
7. Cutting round the sports pitches by the Guild just as the sprinklers turn on.
Now you’re soaking wet and it didn’t even save you any time. You played yourself. 👌
8. Grossly underestimating how long the queue would be at the station and ending up missing your train.
Why tf are there so few ticket machines?!
9. Getting excited about using the new Sports Centre only to remember it’s still not open.
S t i l l 🙃
10. Making the effort to go to the library but not being able to take any books out because you forgot your ID card.
And the temporary card is such a con.
11. Thinking you can get a table in the Soak after 6pm.
12. Buying a week’s worth of shopping in Aldi and almost dying trying to carry it all back through Selly.
It always seems like such a good idea at the time.
13. Feeling smug about stumbling across a free computer in the library before realising it’s a catalogue computer.
Swinging down into the seat and switching it on only for it to finally dawn on you why no one else had found it before you.
14. Arriving late to a house viewing because you didn’t realise just how far up Heeley Road it was.
Until you’ve done that walk, you don’t understand how far it is.
15. Opting for any takeout other than Roosters.
What were you thinking?
16. Going for “just the one drink” at Joe’s and still being there 5 hours later.
At least you tried.
17. Not paying attention to which zone you sent your printing to and having to accept your work is gone forever.
And it always happens when you have no printing credits left.
18. Accidentally spending half your student loan on drinks for pres in Spar.
Aldi’s just so much further though 😭
19. Or basically having to take another loan out after buying anything at the Farmers Markets.
You want how much for an Ostrich burger, sorry?!
20. Misjudging how long you have before the lights will change when crossing the Bristol Road.
That grey area between the red and green man seems to last for a different length of time every time you need to cross.
21. Getting involved in any kind of debate about whether Birmingham is in the North or the South.
It’s in the West Midlands. It’s in the middle. Just get over it.
22. And not checking the time before you walk under Old Joe.
One chime and your degree is in the bin. All that hard work for nothing.
23. But the biggest mistake of all is thinking you won’t miss everything about it when you leave.
Because you most definitely will. 😥