23 Things You Wish You’d Known as a Fresher at Loughborough University
Choosing to study at Loughborough was a great decision. But if only you’d known these things before going.
1. You need to get involved with sport.
2. But if you want to maintain your dignity, maybe don’t attend the initiation ceremonies.
I’m looking at you, hockey and rugby.
3. Beware the consequences of having your picture taken on a night out.
You could become the next victim of LSU gets Photoshopped.
when you're on LSU gets photoshopped with a '£20 for the night sign on you' 😩😩 pic.twitter.com/DQunjSJnLO
— Kirstie Gordon (@kirstiegordon97) January 30, 2016
4. If you want to live like a king, choose Elvyn halls.
Because who doesn’t want an en suite and a massive double bed?
5. Avoid the Design School’s revolving doors AT ALL COSTS.
6. Never underestimate a Bag for Life on a night out.
Don’t want to fork out a quid for your coat? Put yours and your mates’ coats into a bag for life for 20p each instead!
7. Don’t cycle to the library, because you just won’t make it.
8. Only purchase an AU hoody with an actual sports club embroidered onto it.
‘Loughborough Sport’ is just cheating.
9. If you’re starving in the library during the 24 hour periods, Papa Si will sort you out.
10. Just don’t let Charlie the library cat steal any.
11. Your halls is your pride and joy.
If there’s anything that will unite Loughborough students on a night out, it’s which hall you come from.
12. The Design School Lecture theatres are great for naps.
You can hide in the corners and get some great quality sleep as well as a decent WiFi connection.
13. And the Village Bar does a great fry up.
Can’t be bothered with the trek to town? If you’re living in halls, a hangover cure is a mere walk away.
14. There’s actually a Hot Air Ballooning society.
We will be tethering on Holywell Pitches tomorrow at 1:00pm! Event is open to all, make sure you don't miss it!!! pic.twitter.com/j4qIFo9bAg
— LSU Balloon Team (@lsubt) October 11, 2014
15. Always prepare for the monumental trek to the COPE.
Especially if you live in halls, you will know the absolute mare of having lectures at the COPE. Just make sure you have enough for the bus, because a total of 40 minutes walking there and back ain’t pretty, especially after a Hey Ewe.
16. The Chinese in the union opens at 11am.
Yep, it’s true. Got important lectures after a night out? Just get yourself a chow mein to soak it right up.
17. James France is the perfect lecture theatre for when you’re hungover.
You can peer in the windows at the back to see if it’s actually worth bothering going, or shoot out the back doors if you can feel your breakfast coming back up to greet you.
18. But if you just want to avoid lectures completely, EHB is where you do it.
Plenty of hot street food, TVs, sofas and pool tables, EHB is great fun if you just can’t with lectures.
19. The Powerbase gym is like, serious.
So if you just fancy a light jog, then maybe don’t go there…
20. There’s a real beach volleyball pitch you can use.
It’s hidden right among the trees at the far end of campus, but it’s free to use and great fun to play a few games on long summer evenings. Or you can just pretend you’re on the beach.
21. Papa Si also sells pizza IN THE CLUB.
Ever get that feeling where you’re torn between going home for food and wanting to stay out? Well, Papa Si rescues the evening once again. For just £1 a slice of pizza, you can grab a snack and party hard at the same time.
22. Just avoid Fusion toilets on a night out at all costs.
23. And you’re not really a Loughborough student until you jump in the fountain.
Sure it’s rife with who knows what, but having a splash around in Loughborough’s infamous fountain is a rite of passage.