26 Struggles You’ll Recognise All Too Well If You’ve Ever Lived In a Student House
As you sign that contract, you’re buzzing for the year ahead living with your pals in your own student pad, until you discover…
1. The weirdness of the front room actually being a bedroom.
If you haven’t experienced this, did you even live in a student house?
2. And dreading being the one who ends up in there.
No matter what anyone tells you, it will be the coldest, dampest room and you will end up opening the front door every time the doorbell goes.
3. They’re always freezing cold. Always.
Nothing screams being a student like the only source of heat in your house being your laptop charger and a hairdryer
— Orls. (@StacksAhCraic) March 24, 2014
4. And if not, you’re getting nagged at for putting the heating on.
“Can’t you just wear another jumper?”
5. Someone always manages to jump into the shower just before you.
Come on now.
6. But no one ever wants to take responsibility for cleaning it.
You don’t even like cleaning your own hair out of the drain, never mind someone else’s.
7. Coming home to a mountain of post for previous tenants.
Student house problems. pic.twitter.com/kSKiKJwMrp
— Annie (@annie_122) August 20, 2016
8. And a frankly unnecessary amount of takeaway leaflets.
9. Having to choose between blinding ceiling lights or almost complete darkness.
Are student houses not allowed mood lighting? This isn’t Hollister.
10. Being scared to walk around barefoot in case of unwelcome visitors.
was shocked to see a slug in my bathroom then I remembered I live in a vile student house in a vile area so why wouldn't there be a slug
— erin (@erinmargaretm) May 5, 2016
11. And not wanting to use the bath even if you have one.
I'm pretty sure you could set jelly in my bath it's that cold. #StudentHouseProblems
— Morrissey's daughter (@123cuppycake123) February 11, 2016
12. There’s always a huge pile of washing up.
Even when you only did them 5 minutes ago, another batch of dirty mugs and plates appear from someone’s room.
13. And there’s always someone who seems to think the Bin Fairy is real.
Are you really living in a student house if your bin isn't piled up so high with cardboard boxes its nearly as big as the fridge? #BinJenga
— Eloise (@eloisefrench) October 19, 2016
14. Regretting hosting pre-drinks every single time.
So. Much. Mess
15. And entering into a war over your recycling bins.
Someone stole our recycling box. What kind of sick recycling bastard would do such a thing!
— Georgia Boon (@georgiaboonn) January 21, 2014
16. Being able to hear e v e r y t h i n g through the walls.
17. And waiting a lifetime to have internet installed only for it to then not work properly.
It’s 2016 ffs.
18. The only instructions manual you’ll ever actually try to look for will be the one you can’t find.
19. And trying to clean is often more trouble than it’s worth.
Pretty sure the hoover in our student house is older than me. It's just started smoking😳😳😳
— Daisy (@daisy9600) October 7, 2016
20. Developing a fear of everything whenever you’re home alone.
“What was that noise? Did I leave the door like that? It must be a murderer. Or a ghost. That’s the only logical explanation”
21. But then remembering this fact of student house life:
I'm always scared about being home alone at my student house but then I remember I'm not alone!!!! we have mice!!!!!!!
— Kate (@KATIELANGAN) October 30, 2016
22. Never daring to even go near the basement or attic.
23. And realising how difficult sorting out bills and TV licenses are.
24. The sheer panic when your landlord drops by.
HIDE THAT BROKEN THING QUICK
25. And dreading the messy battle that will be getting your deposit back.
26. But the greatest struggle of all is realising that you’ll one day have to move out.
Because in spite of its flaws, living in a student house is actually pretty damn great.