26 Things You’ll Only Understand If You Studied At Loughborough University
If you decided to make your undergraduate journey in Loughborough, you’ll understand the following things.
1. Everyone automatically assumes that you study Sports.
Yes, you’re studying at the university with the best Sports Science facilities in the country, but this does not mean you have to actually participate in anything that requires any kind of active movement if you don’t want to.
2. And if you say you don’t study Sports, they assume you study Engineering instead.
Loughborough also has a great reputation for its engineering prowess. There’s even an actual plane on display on campus, for crying out loud! But, there are more courses than just Sports and Engineering.
3. Papa Si is the real MVP.
He’s the household name of Loughborough SU and is basically the guardian angel of any night out. Give that man a fist bump.
Papa Si is the saviour of Loughborough #pizza 🍕
— Emily Barrett (@1EmilyBarrett) September 29, 2014
4. You’ll never get over the loss of RAIN on Mondays.
Small but mighty, and one of the best nights in Loughborough. Gone but never forgotten.
5. Especially when you compare it with Echo’s.
It holds the fort on Saturday nights, but you have to admit how gross it is. 😷💃🍻
Echos in Loughborough is such a shithole. My shoes are wrecked because every single toilet in the place was flooded.
— Elijah Busson (@elijahbussz) June 12, 2013
6. And Stuesdays.
The cheapest night in the union and the one you will probably regret the most the morning after. One can only hope you’ll make it out alive. Failing that, make the most of the cheap drinks and/or take a nap on the Fusion sofas.
7. The misleading name of True Lovers Walk.
Anyone who lives in town will know that this little shortcut certainly does NOT live up to its name.
8. And the realness of the hall rivalry.
The university’s halls of residence have major beef with each other. But it’s all in good spirits. When it comes to the Sing-Off during Freshers’, you know that that’s when your hall needs its A game.
9. The excitement whenever a new chain restaurant finally opens in town.
Now we have more than just Rev’s and McDonald’s to choose from.
All of next years student finance will be spent on the new nandos in loughborough
— sach (@_zachem) June 1, 2016
10. Or when DBE comes round again.
It’s only here once a month, but it’s worth waiting for.
11. Trying your best to avoid the Loughborough locals.
12. But going out of your way to see Charlie, the library cat.
13. The frustration caused by The Purple Onion and its ridiculous prices.
It’s the only shop around the student village and therefore your only option if you’re out of stuff for pres. But a fiver for some cranberry juice and a pack of quavers? Really?
14. And the determination to cross the Naked 500 off your Loughborough bucket list without getting caught.
Though it’s frowned upon, students will make a detour to the running track post-night out and race the 500m. Naked. The semi-naked 250 is also an option.
15. Jumping in the fountain at least once before you leave is a rite of passage.
16. As is walking up Beacon Hill.
17. Loving that there’s no ‘met/uni of’ rivalry.
18. And that it’s so close to EVERYWHERE.
If you ever get bored of the Loughborough bubble, you’re not far from Birmingham and only an hour away from London. Can’t complain.
19. Getting used to seeing people on campus in shorts and flip flops whatever the weather.
Pretty sure Loughborough is the only place in the world where people walk around in flip flops and shorts in these temperatures ❄️
— Hannah (@gnitaekhannah) November 23, 2015
20. And not feeling like a true Loughborough student until you have an official uni hoodie.
21. Learning the vast amount of spelling variations for ‘Loughborough’.
Luff, lufs, loughbra, lufbra, loogabarooga, loughs… Just how many more do we need?
22. And rarely feeling as proud as when the uni proves why it’s the best for sports.
23. Or when you actually manage to make the trek up the hill to Holywell.
24. The smugness you’re allowed to feel now that Loughborough is officially one of the UK’s best universities.
25. And the sadness you feel when you realise how much you’re going to miss it when you graduate.
Good morning! #Sunshine today so make the most of it. This week Exec Elections kick off, and we have the Spring Careers Fair tomorrow! Remember to tag us in your photos of campus @lborouniversity. Have a good week 😊 #sunny #summerplease #loughboroughuni #lborouni #sun #campus #blue #grass #nature #loughborough
26. Because although you can take the student out of Loughborough, you can’t take Loughborough out of the student.
Loughborough is definitely the best Uni 👌🏼
— Olly Tipping (@OllyBloggs_) November 24, 2015