22 Things That Are The Same Age as Freshers Starting Uni This Year
Be warned that you will feel at least an eternity older after reading this. Here are some of the things that somehow came to be the same year this year’s freshers were born: 1999.
1. Britney Spears’ Baby One More Time.
That’s right, in 1999 Britney Spears launched her smash-hit pop debut sporting iconic pigtails and that unforgettable school uniform.
2. And Ricky Martin’s Livin’ La Vida Loca.
The song doesn’t feel old, but we bet you do right now.
3. Not forgetting the classic Mambo No. 5.
Legend has it many baby names of Tina and Sandra spiked in 1999.
4. Spongebob Squarepants debuted on Nickelodeon.
The pineapple under the sea: est. 1999.
5. And Family Guy.
6. CBBC started our obsessions with The Tweenies.
This colourful bunch appeared on CBBC and Cbeebies 18 years ago?! Madness.
7. And Remember Rocket Power?
Woogity boogity woogity boogity.
8. And Ed Edd n Eddy?
The stupidity of Ed never failed to amuse us when this trio made their TV debut in ’99.
9. The Amanda Show was another classic.
Some serious 1999 nostalgia from this stroke of comedy gold from the “Hill Billy Moment”.
10. The Matrix was released in cinemas.
Anyone else remember almost throwing their back out trying to be as cool as Neo?
11. And our childhood favourite, Toy Story 2.
One of the few movie sequels that lived up to its predecessor came out in 1999. Who didn’t love Jessie and her adorable horse Bullseye?
12. And the traumatic horror that was Silent Hill.
Still having nightmares about this, tbh.
13. Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace also came to be in ’99.
Jar Jar Binks: arguably the most hated character in Star Wars.
14. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban was published.
J.K Rowling introduced the 3rd iteration in the magical series making us mortal muggles crave more and more.
15. Dreamcast became a thing.
Ah Dreamcast, the off-brand PlayStation 1 that fell to its demise after the rise of the PS2.
16. As did the classic Final Fantasy VIII.
’99 was also great year for video games including the epic Sorceress tale of FFVIII.
17. And Pokémon Gold and Silver.
Gameboy colour released another exciting Pokémon game with 100 new species and the new region of Kanto. Gold and Silver was (and still is) epic.
18. And of course, the legendary Pokémon Trading Cards.
If you didn’t have a shiny you were nothing amongst your peers.
19. 1999 was also the year of the first Blackberry.
And the first messaging device able to support email and HTML browsing. It would be a while before “What’s your BBM?” became a thing.
20. And Napster.
Napster, a bit like iTunes, was founded in ’99 and sadly had a short life after a year later being sued for copyright infringement. Awks.
21. The Euro was introduced! Yep, really.
This might seem crazy, but the Euro was actually introduced to the financial markets as an official currency on 1st January 1999.
22. And last, but certainly not least, Furby Babies!
Following the success of the adorable yet slightly creepy Furby (the OG), Furby babies hit the scene, manufactured a little smaller but with the same creepy element, obvs.