16 Things Everyone Who Studies Advertising at University Is Tired of Hearing
Deciding to study Advertising was probably one of the best decisions you’ve made yet. You do, however, pay the price when hearing all the ridiculous things people ask you, such as the following:
1. “Oh, so you’re a graphic designer?”
Here we go…
2. “You want to be in PR, then?”
Funnily enough, I want a job in advertising!
3. “Isn’t that just another word for Marketing?”
NOT THE SAME THING.
4. “I don’t really believe in advertising.”
Thank you for sharing that valuable information.
5. “It’s not a REAL subject though, is it?”
No, it’s a completely made-up one, actually!
6. “So do you really need an entire degree for that?”
No, I just really enjoy wasting 3 years of my life at university.
7. “What is it that you ACTUALLY do?”
Isn’t it pretty self-explanatory?
8. “Oh… well, good for you!'”
Some will just never ‘get’ it.
9. “Go on then, sell me something!”
I am not in fact a performing monkey.
10. “Is it true that advertising people drink like ALL THE TIME?”
11. “And that everyone in advertising is a hipster?”
12. “By the way, I have this GREAT idea for an ad…”
Do tell me more.
13. “And I’ve seen Mad Men, so I know a thing or two about advertising.”
Yep… not the same thing.
14. “Wow, you must be really creative!'”
Well, we try.
15. “And you must really know how to read a room!”
Well, we aren’t mind readers, but I’ll take that.
16. “But I’m jealous – advertising does sound really cool!”
OK, I guess we’re not tired of hearing this one. 💁