16 Things You Thought Would Happen at University That Turned Out To Be Wishful Thinking
So you’re off to uni? Good for you! Think you know what to expect? Wrong!
1. That you’d only ever study subjects that interested you.
The fact they’re part of the degree that you’ve chosen MUST mean they are incredibly interesting, super practical, useful and applicable. Right?
2. And that university would help you become a responsible adult.
Suuuuuure it will!
3. That you’d leave with no doubt whatsoever about what you want to do in life.
Y’know, rather than even more confused and with more questions than ever before :)))
4. And feel fully prepared to take on a real job.
Tell that to all those recruiters who are looking for graduates with actual work experience.
5. That you’d still find time to visit and hang out with your high school friends.
Sadly, you’ll most likely manage to keep in touch with only a select few of your old mates. Only the strong will survive.
6. And that student life would be non-stop fun and parties.
It’s not exactly like in the movies. Turns out you have to make time to actually study? Who knew?
7. But that you’d also be able to juggle your lit social life with your studies.
8. That living with roommates would be fun.
One word: dishes.
9. So much so that you’d never ever get homesick.
10. And you’d definitely not miss living with your parents.
Wait… why are the dirty dishes still in the sink where I left them? And why is the fridge still empty?
11. That you’d ensure you got your money’s worth and go to every single lecture.
You’ll find there are mornings where sleeping in feels like a MUST. Say goodbye to that 9am lecture!
12. And become an active member of all kind of societies.
You might sign up. You might even go to the induction meetings and events. That will soon change.
13. That first year wouldn’t really count.
That’s a slippery slope you’re going down, if you think like that. It may not seem like it, but those first year marks might just come back to haunt you in your final year.
14. Or that you’d suddenly discover your amazing culinary skills.
The reality is you’ll be proud of yourself when you manage to find the time and patience to boil an egg or make yourself a sandwich from scratch.
15. That you’d become an expert on managing your own finances.
Oh really? Think about that the next time you go out drinking. Or shopping for new outfits. Or randomly buying stuff online, that you don’t really need but HAVE to have, you know?
16. And that essays and exams in a subject you’ve chosen to research would be SO much easier.
It should be that simple, shouldn’t it?