17 Things Every Graduate Working In Graphic Design Is Tired of Hearing
Being a graphic designer can be awesome, but it can also have its frustrating moments when dealing with people who don’t know much about it.
1. “I’ll know what I want when I see it.”
Sure, and I’ll just read your mind and complete the task without knowing what it is.
2. “Just do it the way you think it should look. We trust your judgement completely.”
But only if it matches what you initially had in mind, right? 🙂
3. “I don’t like it, but I’m not sure why.”
Well, I don’t like you and I know exactly why.
4. “I love it! Can you change it though?”
Seriously, why would you want to change the design if you’re happy with it?
5. “We’d like you to come up with more options to choose from.”
Oh come on, you know you’re going to go with one of those I’ve already given you!
6. “We love the changes you made, but have decided to stick to the original design.”
Of course you did.
7. “I like these two options – can we combine them?”
There’s a reason those are two separate options. Just. No.
8. “Photos? Stock images? Can’t you just get them from Google?”
This is wrong on so many levels.
9. “I’m unsure about the colour. It just doesn’t feel right, you know?”
What colour would make you feel better then?
10. “Can we somehow use that empty space?”
There’s a reason why that space is empty. No one likes clutter.
11. “It just needs to pop more!”
Pop/spice/jazz it up… What does that even mean?!
12. “Make the logo bigger.”
Because size obviously matters more than a good-looking design, apparently.
13. “Could you hand us over the raw files so we have something to work with?”
Chances are that those files will end up being given to other designers or butchered by someone else. Please don’t.
14. “I love this other designer’s work. Maybe you could do something similar?”
No, I’ve learnt all about plagiarism! If you like someone else’s work more, just hire them.
15. “Well, this other designer was only going to charge us this much for that.”
Why exactly are you coming to me then?
16. “This will look great on your profile!”
Thank you, but I’d rather be paid for my work. If you think you’re getting a free design, you’ve got another thing coming.
17. “Actually, we’ve decided to take a different approach.”
Also known as “I’ve changed my mind” – this line is the bane of every designer’s existence. Thanks for wasting my time.