16 Landlord-Related Problems Every Student Has Faced At Least Once
If you have ever lived in student housing at uni before, you’ll have encountered most of these problems…
1. Having to clean your own house before you move in because they didn’t bother checking the property over the summer.
It’s the crappiest team-building activity ever.
2. Which brings about the first of many, many house-related fights with your housemates.
“I am not touching that sink.” “Well, my room is smaller than yours and I still have to pay the same rent so it’s only fair if you clean it!” “But it’s closer to your room!”
3. The furniture doesn’t even match so the whole aesthetic is terrible.
An afternoon of rearranging furniture to make a shit student house living room a little less shit 👏🏼
— Nysie Gunner (@nysiegunner) September 25, 2015
4. And some of it is just plain useless.
This house is falling apart. A chair is too wobbly to sit on, a hob doesn't light and the dryer is so useless everything is still wet
— Cathy Pilks (@cathypilk) January 29, 2013
5. The appliances will constantly break.
6. And you can say goodbye to hot showers, because the only time you’ll have hot water is if you put the kettle on.
If it works, that is.
7. You’ll have to wonder if the radiator is just there for show.
When the heater doesn't work so you leave the oven on and ajar and risk burning down your apartment
— not applicable 🎃 (@naceret) November 8, 2017
8. Don’t even get me started on the fact that the internet a. will not be set up by the time you move in or b. will be set up but not work for the entire duration you live there.
I just want to watch Netflix, is that too much to ask?
So I've learned that the wifi in student housing is shit.
— Taylor (@tbh426) August 25, 2014
9. Naturally, your landlord doesn’t ever use their phone.
Maybe they just blocked my number? 🤔
10. Or respond to emails.
11. In fact, the only time they message you is to remind you that your rent is due.
12. Or they might respond saying ‘ok’ but never actually do anything.