21 Completely Unfair Realities of Being a Vegetarian at University
If you’re a student who’s also a vegetarian, you’ll definitely have faced these problems.
1. It’s difficult to get any decent veggie food in the small convenience shops on campus.
2. And living in catered halls doesn’t really solve the problem.
Unless you enjoy eating the same selection of fruit, salad, and soups all day, every day.
3. Not that you get any sympathy from anyone because, as you’re often reminded, it is your choice to be a veggie.
4. Finding out your housemates have been using your kitchen stuff to prepare meat.
5. Or having that one uni friend who occasionally asks you if it’s OK for them to eat meat in front of you.
6. Slowing down the process of ordering a takeaway because you have to read all the ingredients in everything, just in case.
7. Or going out for dinner and having all your mates ask you questions in front of the waiter.
“Eggs? Can you eat eggs?”, “Just have the ham and cheese sandwich without the ham!”, “There’s not really a great choice for you, is there? You don’t mind staying though, right?”
8. Frequently being asked if you miss bacon.
9. Or if you’re only being a vegetarian because it’s “cool”.
10. Having to correct assumptions that all veggies love drinking kale smoothies, eating spinach and doing yoga every morning at 5AM.
I love it when people assume I'm super healthy because I'm veggie 😭 my diet is just potatoes
— ♡ molly ♡ (@molly1253) March 30, 2016
11. And endure being asked if you can’t “just pick the meat off”.
12. Feeling left out of house meals because no one else wants a veggie option.
13. Or finding out your housemates tried to be nice and cooked for you but it accidentally had something not suitable for vegetarians in it.
14. Hating when anyone other than a vegetarian makes “jokes” about being vegetarian.
“If you care so much about animals, then why are you eating their food? LOL.”
15. Or whenever someone says the classic “but the animal is already dead!”
16. Awkwardly listening as people inform you they tried to be vegetarian for a while but it didn’t work out.
Okay…great? Thanks for telling me.
17. Missing out on free food on campus because it’s very rarely free food that’s suitable for vegetarians.
18. Or having your friends try to tempt you into eating meat on every single night out.
My friends are playing "convince the drunk vegetarian to eat meat" BUT I JUST LAUGH AT THEIR OFFERINGS OF BURNED FLESH
— Sonic Biscuit (@Sonic_Biscuit) May 1, 2016
19. But you do feel slightly jealous of how easy they can order their drunk food though.
It’s hard to worry about whether the sauce on your chips is good to go or not when you’re drunk af.
20. Wishing that people would stop feeling the need to check whether you’ve eaten enough protein for the day.
21. And generally stop making such a big deal about the fact that you’re a vegetarian.
Just let me eat my Quorn and vegetables in peace.