16 Reasons Why You Still Feel Like A Student In Your First Graduate Job
Here’s to never growing up!
1. Your boss is basically your lecturer, but meaner.
Except they can fire you.
2. And your colleagues are like your fellow students and soon-to-be graduates.
3. A Friday night with your co-workers is basically like Freshers’ Week all over again.
Thankfully, being an adult and being sensible are not synonymous.
4. Especially when you have to keep downing your drinks until another new colleague comes along.
Your mind recalls chants of “Down it, Fresher!”
5. You have not stopped doing presentations at the very last minute.
6. But you always manage to pull them off without any slip-ups.
Maybe adulthood is just a matter of looking like you know what you’re doing.
7. You try not to sleep during your co-workers’ presentations, or when your boss gives a talk.
Just like 9am lectures then.
8. Competing for promotions is as intense as running in SU Sabbatical Officers elections.
At least there’s less Facebook spamming about it.
9. Finding a seat on a busy train is just as bad as trying to find a seat in the library during exam week.
*flashbacks to dark times*
10. And all the new responsibilities that come with work remind you of back when you first started uni.
11. Your monthly salary is practically your student loan.
Except like, you have to work for it? What’s that all about?
12. Monday mornings will always remain the worse for hangovers.
9am lectures were bad enough once a week – now you have to be in for 9 every day??
13. Instead of all your time being consumed by essays, your time is now consumed by work.
So much for work/life balance.
14. Cliques and big names in the office have not ceased to exist.
Turns out these were not exclusive to school and uni.
15. Industry networking events are just upgraded graduate career fairs.
16. But at least you never have to do another exam again.