19 Things You’ll Know To Be True If You’ve Ever Joined a Society at University
If you’re a student, joining a society while you’re at university can be quite daunting but it’s certainly worth it.
1. It’s highly likely you initially only joined because you were enticed with baked goods.
OH, go on then.
2. And goody bags, obviously.
If you join enough societies you’ll never need to buy pens again.
3. After you join, your weekdays gain some much-needed attention.
Looks like I’m going out tonight! Again!
4. You immediately meet some interesting characters.
Have I walked into the right society?
5. And some not-so-interesting ones.
If you know, you know.
6. The thrill of joining one quickly leads you to join loads of others, too.
You’ll find the fun never ends, as each society will provide different means of entertainment.
7. Not least because you’ve discovered how fun the trips are.
8. And the socials. Let’s not forget those.
We all need some down time from our courses.
9. Inadvertently ending up part of even more societies if you join one through sister societies or collaborations.
Which becomes a problem when it comes to events that are held on the same night.
10. And your friendships will be tested if you join rival societies.
11. You always have a valid excuse to leave your room or the library for society night.
12. And better yet, your confidence will be boosted as you mingle with society regulars.
Classy, yet sassy.
13. Hating that one person who always “forgets” to pay their membership.
14. Gaining your own society squad and finding that you have more in common than you first thought you did.
15. Being opened up to different cultures and traditions.
Making your parents proud that you actually are mingling with people from different backgrounds.
16. And looking forward to each society social as if you haven’t had one in ages (you have).
CANNOT. CONTAIN. EXCITEMENT.
17. Sometimes your society becomes a bit like therapy.
Especially around exam season.
18. So when you miss a society event, you almost feel empty inside.
“So there definitely isn’t a session this week?”
19. Because joining was one of the best decisions you ever made.