The 20 Stages of Starting Your Dissertation, As Told By ‘New Girl’
There are moments during your time at university that you’ll treasure forever. Starting to write your dissertation is not one of them.
1. You begin by convincing yourself that you have all the time in the world.
You’ve made it this far through university, there’s no need to stress about your dissertation yet.
2. Until you realise how much time has actually passed.
Suddenly everyone’s talking about writing their proposals and arranging meetings with tutors.
3. Now that you actually have the chance to choose your own topic, your mind goes completely blank.
You don’t really want to write about anything, truth be told.
4. After racking your brain, you choose the easiest topic you can think of and tackle your proposal.
5. Before going straight back to refusing to acknowledge that your dissertation module even exists any more.
You have a proposal now. You’re all good. No stress for a while.
6. Until someone asks you how your research is going.
7. You then realise your peers are significantly ahead of you and have already started.
8. You immediately make multiple trips to see your designated advisor.
Perhaps a little too many, even.
9. While desperately trying to convince yourself that you can do this.
10. Until you remember the countless assignments and essays that are due for your other modules.
11. You finally work up the courage to start writing.
12. But quickly realise you have no idea what you’re writing about. At all.
13. And wonder whether you should actually just quit while you’re still ahead.
14. You spend a good proportion of time calculating whether you can still get a 2:1 if you fail your dissertation module.
Which you then regret.
15. And unsuccessfully try to convince yourself you’ll be content with a pass.
16. You regret spending so long on your proposal because you’re already not sticking to it.
17. While wondering if it’s actually going to be possible to write this many words on a topic.
18. And how you’re ever going to survive final year.
Never mind finish your dissertation.
Can’t it just be over already? 😩