19 Times Being a First Year Student Wasn’t as Fun as You Expected It Would Be
“Best days of your life,” they said.
1. When you arrived with no friends and felt pressured to find some new ones sharpish.
Don’t be weird. Don’t be weird.
2. And were excited to get your first student loan but realised it doesn’t even cover your accommodation.
Everyone questions how they will eat and survive, right?
3. When it dawned on you just how gross student halls are.
The online tour certainly didn’t live up to your expectations.
4. And to add to that, after a long day at uni, you have to cook for yourself, too.
Shock, horror, disgust!
5. Or worse, endure catered food.
If carbs are your thing, then you’ll be just fine.
6. When you realised how much weight you’ve gained.
Why must a diet primarily made up of vodka and potatoes ruin your figure?
7. Or how much work you actually have to do.
Just when you thought uni was going to be one big party!
Four assignments due in the same week 👍🏼 thought first year was supposed to be easy 🆒
— Alice Todd (@alicetodd_) November 27, 2016
8. And that none of it even counts towards your degree.
Blood, sweat and tears will ultimately be for, well… nothing.
9. When you were encouraged to go on nights out but then judged for being hungover in lectures.
10. Or when being tagged in a photo started to become your worst fear.
“Oh god, what have I done now???”
11. When you realised that not everyone gets a reading week.
12. And that any student who isn’t in first year basically hates you.
13. Or when you saw what university has reduced final year students to.
14. When you’d barely moved in to your halls but you were told to start thinking about second year houses.
15. And then you discovered how much of a stress that was going to be.
An expensive stress.
16. When you realised that although breaks may be longer, you’re set so much more work for them.
17. Or when all your flatmates went home and you ended up alone in your flat.
You begin to realise how much you actually love your family and your pets.
18. When it dawned on you just how fast the time is flying.
19. And that you’ll be a final year before you know it at this rate.
Maybe first year is fun after all 😅