18 Things You Learn To Hate About Being a Student At The University Of York
So you got the grades and you’re excited for the best three years of your life… until the day you inevitably get attacked by a goose.
1. Trying and failing to dance at Kuda.
Is this a dance floor or a walkway? Why is everyone elbowing me? Is this fun?!
2. Leaving your key card in your room and doing the walk of shame to the porters.
In your dressing gown (if you’re lucky), without shoes on, at 3am.
3. Being distracted from studying by spectacular views of campus buildings.
Vanbrugh ‘Paradise’, everyone. Don’t you just love a bit of concrete architecture?
4. And then not even being allowed to graduate at the Minster.
Looking at you, YSJ.
5. Getting a vodka mixer at Phats and having someone immediately crash into you and spill it.
Why is this crowd so big and this cup so tiny?
6. And then dancing to the same three songs every single week.
No I do not have a 100 dollar bill. And I will not put my hands up.
7. Trying to buy anything in Nisa immediately before or after a lecture.
Then finally getting to the front of the queue and remembering you can’t afford that shit.
8. Being called ‘York University’ students.
It’s the ‘University of’, bitches.
9. And then being confused for York University in Canada.
10. Trying to go anywhere in town on race days.
11. Paying £35 for the Summer Ball.
12. And then Jess Glynne pulling out of headlining it.
Apparently there are places she’d Rather Be… (I’m so sorry)
13. Living in fear of the campus geese and ducks.
14. The regret that comes with deciding to walk from town to Hes East.
The yellow brick road never ends and is basically a wind tunnel. Never again.
15. Wondering how much of your student loan is being spent on making it even harder to get into the library.
ANOTHER set of glass sliding doors? That almost never function? Do they want us to study or…?
16. Remembering that Willow is over.
Where else can you go after 3am to hear the Game of Thrones theme tune and Come on Eileen on a regular basis? Will I have to go to Kuda now? How have we allowed this to happen?!
17. Having to leave for holidays and realising your hometown YikYak has nothing on York.
18. And then one day having to leave York forever.
You love it really.