19 Things That Made 2015 A Big Year For Uni Of York Students
The last 12 months have definitely seen some notable highs and lows for students in York. Here’s a review, and a chance to look back on some of the big things that happened in 2015.
1. The new Sabb team was elected.
YUSU President Ben Leatham was even up for getting involved with our GET GIFed night at Phats 😂
2. George MacGill launched Alpha Juices.
His student business became the first in the UK to be stocked at an on-campus supermarket (Nisa).
3. Roses 2015 was held at York.
4. And we won. 🎉💪
5. You all got dressed up and drunk for the Summer Ball.
6. York students, graduates and staff took part in the ‘York Says Refugees Welcome Here’ demonstration.
Showing support for giving asylum seekers a home in York.
Harkirit Boparai, one of the organisers of the event, is a York graduate.
7. And a group of University of York students travelled to Calais with supplies for those in ‘The Jungle’ refugee camp.
8. In July 2015, Willow closed forever 😭
For those that don't go to my uni, it's difficult to comprehend how much of a loss the closure of Willow will be to all. A grimy former Chinese restaurant that was forced through health and safety to become a disco, your feet stick to the floor and the toilets back up with God knows what. A more wretched hive of villainy and scum you won't find. And that's why we'll miss it so much, from the £1 shots to the draconian #TommyFong. Farewell Willow. Do not go gentle into that good night 💔 #FUCKOFFCLINTONS
Masters student Stephen Harper even took down the Willow sign and now keeps it at his house.
That’s a true Willow fan.
9. Brand new Willow nights at venues across York were announced.
Not quite the same, but at least Willow legend/DJ Maksymilian Skowroński is often involved. 🙌
10. And York students Abbie Llewelyn and Lizzie Connolly launched The Willow Society.
Basically, York <3 Willow.
11. Freshers’ Week 2015 was fab.
And the main event, The Big Top, was headlined by Ella Eyre.
ok so tonight I finally witnessed @ellaeyre who was absolutely amazing and omg serious #bae goals right here #😍 she waved at me at one point but didn't answer when i asked her to marry me #😔 (maybe next time) #ellaeyre #feline #😻 #baegoals #seriouslytho #marryme #UoYFreshers #freshers #bigtop #universityofyork #yusu #yusubigtop
12. 50 York students took on the Amsterdam Marathon.
13. Vanbrugh Paradise was transformed into Greg’s Place.
And is now actually much more like ‘paradise’…
14. Sir Malcolm Grant was inaugurated as the University’s new Chancellor.
15. York found itself at the centre of national and international news following debate about marking International Men’s Day.
The University u-turned on its decision to mark the event.
16. We showed our solidarity with those affected by atrocities in Paris and all over the world.
17. And students raised money for important causes.
18. Over Christmas 2015, York was hit by devastating floods.
19. But the University of York responded by trying to help those affected…
…And with a sense of humour.
Well played York.