22 Times University Made You Say “What Am I Even Paying For?”
Uni is crazy expensive. You have the best time, but sometimes you can’t help but wonder what you’re paying for…
1. When the lecturer just read from PowerPoint slides.
— Becky Evans (@Beckyevanss) May 12, 2016
2. And was clicking through the slides too fast for you to take notes.
When the lecturer changes the PowerPoint before you've finished writing: pic.twitter.com/xfGDPZwFjA
— Mariska H Reacts ✨ (@MariskaHReacts) June 25, 2016
3. When you realised you have about five contact hours a week.
When you have more hours at your part time job than you have contact hours at uni. Welcome to 3rd year.
— Lauren Heria (@laurenheria) November 15, 2015
4. And your uni schedule really wasn’t preparing you for the real world.
Struggling to see how I will manage working 9-5 for 2 weeks when I can barely survive a day at uni that has more than 3 contact hours 💩
— camila (@camilaarh) March 29, 2016
5. Especially in final term, when you’re basically just paying to do assessments.
Uni is paying people to make you do things you don’t want to do.
All I seem to do is complain about exams, revision & uni but I'm paying a hell of a lot to do all that shit
— Lucy Cook (@_lucycook) January 22, 2014
6. When attendance is recorded so you have to come up with good excuses to miss seminars.
“But I’m literally PAYING YOU for this seminar?!”
7. When there were no seats in the library.
8. And the one book you needed for your assessment was never available.
Because everyone needed it. And there were about 3 copies.
When the school bookstore doesn't have the book you need for class pic.twitter.com/QNWv8z5z88
— kalee (@littlemisskalee) September 21, 2015
9. But if you return a book late you get fined. A lot.
And if the fine is over a certain amount, they won’t let you borrow anything else.
tfw when you have a 20¢ fine on a library book and you disappoint yourself and your country pic.twitter.com/V0QPb5E4rj
— dana (@danaCYDE) May 6, 2015
10. When living in halls cost you all of your student loan.
So it’s massive overdraft or no social life?
11. Only for the cleaners to leave angry notes about you not cleaning the kitchen.
There is no worse look than what cleaners in halls give you when you swan into the kitchen. Look of disgust that says you r a lazy fuck m8
— Robert Brook (@RABbrook) February 3, 2016
12. And you had to pay individually for every wash and dry of your clothes.
So you probably just didn’t bother.
13. When you were dragged out of your accommodation hungover to participate in a fire drill.
When halls say theres gonna be a fire drill at some point at 7am next week, but wont say which day…🙂🙃fuckers
— ☁️ (@abxvetheclouds) February 18, 2016
14. When you had to pay to print every assessment.
Like two copies of a 30 page double-spaced dissertation. Seems reasonable…
I pay £9,000 a year for uni and they have the cheek to charge me £7 to print an assignment
— Chloe Perkins (@chloeperkinsx) April 26, 2016
15. And you had to wait 6 weeks for feedback but only had an hour and a half to do the exam.
16. When you realised you have to pay to hire graduation robes for a few hours.
'There is no fee for graduation'
'Graduation robes cost £42'
'Graduation robes are mandatory'
So there IS a graduation fee, @EdinburghUni ?
— £1 femme (@spacecommunism) March 24, 2016
17. And how much graduation photos cost.
Don’t even talk to me about buying the £30 DVD of the ceremony.
18. When it cost you more to get a drink on campus than you could get one for in town.
19. When you realised the uni prospectus was not at all representative of your student life.
A group of smiling students stood in front of a pretty building you’ll never see. Misleading.
20. When you finally left and the alumni association asked you for a donation.
So they could sell the uni experience to future freshers.
21. And you realised that you’ll probably never use any of the skills you learned at uni.
The most disappointing thing about life post university is how little call there is for the medieval puns I spent three years developing.
— Emily Mangles (@Emily_Mangles) June 15, 2016
22. But at least you have a nice piece of paper, right?
So when does this really expensive piece of paper saying that I got my degree from college help me land a good job?
— Trey Oest (@Toasty_Oesty22) June 22, 2016